Using a Telemarketer for the First Time

ineedhelp

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
In starting to market to T65's using a video, I created a "Welcome to Medicare" series of short videos to send to prospects. I ordered lists, got non-resident licences in a couple of States, signed up for a dialer and hired a Telemarketer who's been working with me for about three and a half weeks now. She has no prior insurance experience nor is she familiar with Medicare. So, there's been a whole lot of training going on i.e. e-mails, phone conversations, videos, reviewing her calls, etc. So far, by almost using a script that someone else has been using successfully, almost verbatim, she's only getting one lead per phone session of two to three hours. The last three days she's gotten one lead per day. I've been working with her and making suggestions such as: slow down, try not to interrupt--give them more time to express themselves before jumping in again, etc. I expected there to be a learning curve. Am I being inpatient by expecting better results by now or should I give it a little more time and see if the numbers improve? She's a sweet woman who really tries to be helpful to people.

Your question is complex and so are the answers.

Some people find TM leads to work for them, others don't.

I am in the 2nd category. Never could make them work.

From my perspective, cold calling is the least effective way of generating leads. Consider this.

Many people now have caller ID and will not answer their phone if they don't recognize the number. Several people, including retirees that are Medicare eligible, have cut the cord and just go cellular only.

Cell phones have caller ID and your contacts built in. If someone calls on your cell phone and they are in your contacts, the name pops up.

Telemarketing is intrusion marketing. People don't answer their phone or door if they don't know who you are.

My suggestion is to find another way but others will have their own view.

Direct mail can be effective but is slow. Given your results so far DM may be much faster than TM.

The other thing is this. How much Medicare experience do you have? Have you sold Medicare by phone before now?

In starting to market to T65's using a video, I created a "Welcome to Medicare" series of short videos to send to prospects. I ordered lists, got non-resident licences in a couple of States, signed up for a dialer and hired a Telemarketer who's been working with me for about three and a half weeks now. She has no prior insurance experience nor is she familiar with Medicare. So, there's been a whole lot of training going on i.e. e-mails, phone conversations, videos, reviewing her calls, etc. So far, by almost using a script that someone else has been using successfully, almost verbatim, she's only getting one lead per phone session of two to three hours. The last three days she's gotten one lead per day. I've been working with her and making suggestions such as: slow down, try not to interrupt--give them more time to express themselves before jumping in again, etc. I expected there to be a learning curve. Am I being inpatient by expecting better results by now or should I give it a little more time and see if the numbers improve? She's a sweet woman who really tries to be helpful to people.

Telemarketing is similar to sales ...

Only so much can be taught at the end of the day, it's a skill the person either has or doesn't have.

I fire everyone right around 3 weeks if they are still under performing.

Most of my performers are doing well with in about 3 days from hiring them.

I would highly recommend firing her, and hiring 3 more ... Yes that's right - 3 more telemarketers.

1 out of the 3 should be able to perform, figure it out and then cut the fat.

----------

Telemarketing is similar to sales ... Only so much can be taught at the end of the day, it's a skill the person either has or doesn't have. I fire everyone right around 3 weeks if they are still under performing. Most of my performers are doing well with in about 3 days from hiring them. I would highly recommend firing her, and hiring 3 more ... Yes that's right - 3 more telemarketers. 1 out of the 3 should be able to perform, figure it out and then cut the fat.

... Or ... Outsource to someone who has already had success with "hiring, training, and managing telemarketers so you don't have to"

;)

I find using telemarketers difficult because they don't have and can't get the experience they need to answer questions that prospects have. In a rather narrow fashion telemarketers should answer all questions with a response along these lines --- Mr. Broker will be able to answer your question(s) when you and he sit down to discuss your many choices. He will be in your area next week. What would be a good time to get together ......... Anything more than that will be selling and to sell the TM needs to be appropriately licensed. Also consider this, when a TM answers incorrectly THAT wrong answer just could be the reason she does NOT get the appointment.

I think the bigger question is what are you doing all day? Unless you've done it before, and have been successful at it, you need to sit right next to this telemarketer and lead by example.

If you don't know how to telemarket, how can you teach her?

He will be in your area next week. What would be a good time to get together ......... Anything more than that will be selling and to sell the TM needs to be appropriately licensed. Also consider this, when a TM answers incorrectly THAT wrong answer just could be the reason she does NOT get the appointment.

In my experience both personally and working with others in the industry, setting the appointment during the initial call never seems to work as well.

One step at a time.

thank you all for your input. I appreciate your thoughts and will think about what was said.

This just my opinion but 10,000 seniors turning 65 nationwide every month is a very small sample to work with. Sometime's I feel there's at least that many agents chasing them! It's possible for all I know! haha!

That sample gets even smaller, when you add all the people on Tricare for Life, and employer retiree plans.

I've found more success working with ages 68-79.

99% of my Med Supp book is all replacements, and 100% from cold calling.

Not on the first call, (though it does happen occasionally) but usually the 2nd or 3rd call, after I sent them an email, or mailed out a packet.

For the rest, I just drip them my monthly newsletter, and wait for when they get the next rate increase notice!

This just my opinion but 10,000 seniors turning 65 nationwide every month is a very small sample to work with. Sometime's I feel there's at least that many agents chasing them! It's possible for all I know! haha! That sample gets even smaller, when you add all the people on Tricare for Life, and employer retiree plans. I've found more success working with ages 68-79. 99% of my Med Supp book is all replacements, and 100% from cold calling. Not on the first call, (though it does happen occasionally) but usually the 2nd or 3rd call, after I sent them an email, or mailed out a packet. For the rest, I just drip them my monthly newsletter, and wait for when they get the next rate increase notice!

10,000 Turning 65 per day...

http://www.pewresearch.org/daily-number/baby-boomers-retire/

I agree with you though, That is a relatively small pool compared to the older folks 67+ who have already been on Medicare.

Well done on your cold calling! Keep it up!

I'll let you know if I ever get around to experimenting with the HHC/STC.

Telemarketing is similar to sales ...

Only so much can be taught at the end of the day, it's a skill the person either has or doesn't have.

I fire everyone right around 3 weeks if they are still under performing.

Most of my performers are doing well with in about 3 days from hiring them.

I would highly recommend firing her, and hiring 3 more ... Yes that's right - 3 more telemarketers.

1 out of the 3 should be able to perform, figure it out and then cut the fat.

----------

... Or ... Outsource to someone who has already had success with "hiring, training, and managing telemarketers so you don't have to"

;)

I agree with this. Overhire and find the tm that will produce the most amount of leads. Some just won't be as good, don't waste your time trying to give them more training. Either they get it or they don't.

Back