Using MAPD to Get a Supplement During the OEP

G.Gordon

Guru
1000 Post Club
Missouri
What say ye about this idea...

A lady called me. She is a friend of a long time client, 58, has MS, on Medicare alone, wants a Supplement. She has a PDP.

Option 1. Blue Cross GI plan C @ $303/mo for 11 months then pull her off and find the cheapest underage Plan C and use the Missouri GI law to move her. She'd be stuck in a plan C until her open season when she turns 65. Cost of this would be $3300+ just to get her to a GI plan C from a cheaper company.

Option 2. Have her enroll in a MAPD plan during the OEP. I have two companies that will take anyone off a MA plan and give them any Supplement they want. She's warming up to the idea. She worried about the possible hospital deductible, but I explained the other option would surely cost her $3300 or more wheather she was hospitalized or not. This way maybe she's in the MA for 30-60 days... we excercise the OEP option to exit the plan, return to Medicare, and sign her up for a GI supplement with one of my carriers.

Pros?? Cons??

The first part of option 2 is that during OEP one can change from like plan to like plan. It's designed for those who want to change MA plans.

Yeah, but you can still go from OM + with or without Med Sup but w/PDP to MAPD or even OM + with or without Med Sup and no PDP to a MA only plan during the OEP ( and vice versa).

Last edited:
You have an interesting situation. First up,If this woman, is no longer in her initial enrollment period, I.E.P. Placing her in a supplement, may be impossible. Period, end of discussion.
Second problem, Even if you can get her a supplement, Missouri's Right of Mobility Clause, does not usually work for disability cases. Very few companies accept under 65, Medicare supplements, in the state of Missouri.
Third, If she is out of I.E.P., You would not be able to even get her a Medicare Advantage Program, without some type of Special Enrollment Period, (S.E.P.) granted by Medicare.
Before you get her in a position, she can not handle, please confirm this situation, with your planned carriers.

You have an interesting situation. First up,If this woman, is no longer in her initial enrollment period, I.E.P. Placing her in a supplement, may be impossible. Period, end of discussion.
Second problem, Even if you can get her a supplement, Missouri's Right of Mobility Clause, does not usually work for disability cases. Very few companies accept under 65, Medicare supplements, in the state of Missouri.
Third, If she is out of I.E.P., You would not be able to even get her a Medicare Advantage Program, without some type of Special Enrollment Period, (S.E.P.) granted by Medicare.
Before you get her in a position, she can not handle, please confirm this situation, with your planned carriers.

You might note the date of the original post. OEP was indeed an option 9 years ago if you notice the poster was going to use a GI plan and then move her on her birthday.

Thanks for playing. There will be a nice gift of cheese for you - although it's now 9 years old.

Rick

Yes! this is way out of date. I thought the purpose of this forum, was to teach new reps. Sorry if I inconvenienced you
Yes, new reps are joining constantly.

But you missed the "GI" part of the post along with the availability of OEP (which went away years ago).

So you really only taught people to 1) check the date of posts which could be 9 years old and 2) make sure what you're stating is correct. You did neither.

Rick

You might note the date of the original post. OEP was indeed an option 9 years ago if you notice the poster was going to use a GI plan and then move her on her birthday.

Thanks for playing. There will be a nice gift of cheese for you - although it's now 9 years old.

*ick
I hate to admit it, but the cheese line made me laugh. :twitchy:

Back