Using the "Five Way" during telemarketing.

JoeJag

Ma.
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum and it's been a good resource.

I was wondering if any of you have tried using the five-way technique during a telemarketing call. I've been trying to use this during my calls today, in order to get an appointment with small business owners. So far I've made 45 calls this morning, had 7 connects, 4 send me your info's, and I've set 0 appointments.

Any help is appreciated,

Joe

45 calls, is not near enough for one to hone their script. I probably do 50 calls in my head before I even make the first call with a new script.

Plus, your running 10% warm leads as it is, that's not to bad.

500 plus calls should give you a better measurement of your script.

In real estate , it's location, location, location. In cold calling, it's delivery, delivery, delivery

Cold calling is NOT a very effective way to reach small business owners. Do some marketing.

I agree and disagree. I agree that it isn't the most effective way to reach small business owners, but I still think it is effective. It should just be an arrow in the quiver and not an end all. However, if you are trying to get up and running, it is a fast way to get off the ground. That being said, cold calling isn't forever (at least if you have multiple strategies). I've made the mistake of doing just cold calling and I have recently released I need to have other strategies working.

Those are "polite" no's...

That's exactly what I have found. I have never gained a client that told me "to send something." I use to just tell them "I don't have anything to send, is there something specific you are wondering about?" However, now I will ask for an email address and send over a link to an article I wrote. I do this knowing they won't call me after reading my article. I do this to get their email address. Now they go into the group that I will market too. If I can't get an email address, I don't send anything.

45 calls, is not near enough for one to hone their script. I probably do 50 calls in my head before I even make the first call with a new script.

I agree, just look at my results from yesterday that I posted on my blog. I made 225 calls and only got three to start the sales process (about 1.3%). I didn't get any interest the first 45 calls. Those results are lower than usual, I usually get around 2% to begin the process now. Many would say that I'm wasting my time making 225 calls and starting the process with only 4 to 5 prospects. In reality, 15 hours a week telemarketing will yield me about 4 to 5 apps a week. I consider that effective and that doesn't count the people that enter my system and work with me at a later date.

JoeJag,

I currently market health insurance primarily and then as I develop a relationship with the owners, ask them about their other needs. That being said, before I landed on health, I did use the five ways approach without much success, but I still find some (the blind squirrel theory).

My problem wasn't the approach, it was a complete lack of experience. If I was going to use this as my main approach again, here is what I would do. I would see your job as to put at least 10 people per day into your marketing system. These will be people you have spoken with and agreed to keep in touch. I would leverage your current appointments. For example, you have a meeting on Main St. I would call the other businesses on Main Street before I go out there and tell them I'm meeting with Joe at Joe's Auto Repair at 2:00 on Tuesday, would you mind if I pop in for 5 minutes before or after to introduce myself. Keep it very informal.

If I couldn't find any sort of leverage, I would just call and ask if they would mind if I stop in to introduce myself. Like I said, the main goal would be to get permission to stay in touch, although I would ask them up front if they would object to getting together sometime to further discuss their situation. Even by being out there, you are going to find immediate opportunities.

Once they are in the system, I would then began to market to them. A monthly email newsletter, timely calls to check-up (for example, at the end of the year, call about putting money in an IRA for a tax deduction, ect.), and put on lunch seminars in which you invite people to that are in your marketing system. I would be proactive and call them in 6 to 12 months and ask if it would make sense to grab lunch sometime.

If you add 1 per day assuming 20 days a month, that's almost 2400 small business owners who will know who you are and a general idea of what you do. Do you think that would be a good situation? If you convert 5% to clients a year, that's 120 new clients.

I'm currently generating such a system of people that buy health insurance, aren't assholes, and that I think I can realistically help in the future. If health insurance were to go away tommorow, I would convert to a system similar to the one above. Besides cold calling, you can get people into the system through speaking engagements, trade shows, and referrals. Use your imagination.

Thanks a lot for that suggestion. I will start adding e-mails and a newsletter on Monday.

Back