VA and ACA - Some More Letters...

russelltw

Guru
1000 Post Club
Have a client whose husband has va benefits. She is on ACA. She wants to add him to ACA, but from what I have read it talks about how someone with VA has credible coverage. However it does not explicitly say he cannot get ACA coverage. I would assume he cannot get a subsidy, but could pay for coverage himself (not sure he will want to do that).

In their recent VA visit, the lady there said "people on medicare can get supplements, why cannot he get a supplement health insurance..." Sounds like someone not knowing what they are talking about and thus causing me more work...

Am I correct that he cannot get a subsidy because he has VA benefits. If he could, it would sound like double dipping.

Have a client whose husband has va benefits. She is on ACA. She wants to add him to ACA, but from what I have read it talks about how someone with VA has credible coverage. However it does not explicitly say he cannot get ACA coverage. I would assume he cannot get a subsidy, but could pay for coverage himself (not sure he will want to do that).

In their recent VA visit, the lady there said "people on medicare can get supplements, why cannot he get a supplement health insurance..." Sounds like someone not knowing what they are talking about and thus causing me more work...

Am I correct that he cannot get a subsidy because he has VA benefits. If he could, it would sound like double dipping.

I'm a veteran, so can speak to this firsthand. Enrollment in VA coverage meets the MEC requirement, and precludes ACA tax credits. The VA sent a letter about a week ago to enrolled veterans explicitly stating this.

A veteran could disenroll from VA healthcare and be eligible for marketplace tax credits. The ineligibility for tax credits is based solely on being enrolled in VA coverage. The risk in this is they may not be able to get back into VA coverage at a later date if they voluntarily disenroll.

For reference: ACA Frequently Asked Questions -- VA, Affordable Care Act and You

I am enrolled in a VA health care program. Would I be eligible for assistance to pay health insurance premiums on the Marketplace if I choose to purchase health care outside of VA?

Since VA care meets the standard for health care coverage, you wouldn’t be eligible for assistance to lower your cost of health insurance premiums if you chose to purchase additional health care coverage outside of VA. However, you may still purchase private health insurance on or off the Marketplace to complement your VA health care coverage.

Can I cancel my VA health care coverage?

Yes. However, acceptance for future VA health care coverage will be based on eligibility factors at the time of application, which may result in a denial of health care coverage.​

I'm a veteran, so can speak to this firsthand.

A veteran could disenroll from VA healthcare and be eligible for marketplace tax credits. The ineligibility for tax credits is based solely on being enrolled in VA coverage. The risk in this is they may not be able to get back into VA coverage at a later date if they voluntarily disenroll.

For reference: ACA Frequently Asked Questions -- VA, Affordable Care Act and You

Ah..a fellow Veteran. Now I understand why your written content and style resonates with straight-forward facts and documentation. Your posts are a pleasure to read.

You're 110% correct MMoodbrid. Attempting to get back into the VA Health System is nothing like enrolling in ObamaCare. Even though the Veterans Administration says that their Open Enrollment lasts 365 days a year, it can take 6 months to 2 years just to find out if you're eligible. Plus, we don't know if there will be a provision for Veterans to do a quick jump into the VA healthcare system when ObamaCare implodes, or is dismantled.

First time this happened, but one of my clients recent determination letter requested documentation that VA coverage has been cancelled, and he is currently on VA. Seems gov't systems are talking more to each other.

First time this happened, but one of my clients recent determination letter requested documentation that VA coverage has been cancelled, and he is currently on VA. Seems gov't systems are talking more to each other.

One of my clients was not aware he was actually enrolled at the VA until the Marketplace asked him to verify that he was not, same scenario. Yes, seems they have a cross check, like with Medicaid.

Back