VA coverage for drugs changing?

wilkin

Guru
100+ Post Club
A client told me he was notified by the VA he would be losing his drug coverage. They said vets with incomes over 33,000 and/or assets over 80,000 are now ineligible. Doesn't sound right to me. Has anyone else heard of this?

I have heard in the past of people not being able to get the VA drug coverage because they made too much. I thought it had to do with years of service, not income. That would be pretty direspectful if they dropped thier coverage. They earned that VA coverage.

It has always been my understanding that ANY vet regardless of income could receive care at a VA center and/or drugs by mail, however, there is an income test to determine whether or not they pay.

When they must pay for drugs it is $8 per 30 day supply, an incredible deal. A requirement to get this benefit is a check up every six months at the vet's expense, about $52 last I heard.

If they have tests or procedures done at a VA hospital, they pay for those, too, at pretty much what non-VA hospitals charge, unless their income is below the minimium (don't know what it is).

That's why most vets, whose income exceed the minimum should have a med supp and just get their drugs through the VA.

Back