VA Med Supp Without Underwriting?

Reach out to one of the regional 'Blues in their service area. In my state, Highmark offers a GI Plan C in the service area, supposedly to balance out their BOB between the sicker and the healthier population on Plan F.

Reach out to one of the regional 'Blues in their service area. In my state, Highmark offers a GI Plan C in the service area, supposedly to balance out their BOB between the sicker and the healthier population on Plan F.

For state specific GI in all situations, I don't know about CareFirst BCBS, servicing a narrow area of Virginia in the greater DC area, and Maryland, but Anthem BCBS does not offer a GI med/supp in Virginia other than the Medicare rules for GI that apply and most carriers use.

I assume the original poster knows the limited situations that allow GI med/supp, which are available to all turning 65/newly Medicare eligible, new enrollment in Part B, losing retiree coverage, and more outlined in this publication from Medicare, pages 21-24:
https://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/02110-Medicare-Medigap.guide.pdf

Last edited:
Yes, I'm aware of the limited situations of GI. She is long past the initial enrollment period and there is no loss of coverage or a move. I'm 2 months new to the VA market, coming from the communist state of IL. I forgot there are more than 1 BCBS carrier in the state. I already checked with Anthem and they do not offer what I was looking for, however, thank you for the reminder that I have another BC to check, because I believe they are outside of the Anthem market.

Search for a list of all the Med Supp carriers in VA. There may be a carrier you aren't aware of who can help. I know someone whose mother had a major stroke a few years ago, has been in a nursing home ever since and got a GI Supp through Avalon here in PA. They no longer offer the product as GI, but I hadn't ever heard of them until someone told me about this situation.

Are you sure GI is needed?

haven't sold in VA since I went on my own because VA penalized me Apparently I was supposed to renew ( I think 6 months before) renewal was up and they wanted to charge me some crazy fee, I decided not to renew

However When I did AARP was competitive and has easier underwriting Also If within 3 years of part B very limited underwriting questions

Back