Vacant Property for Home in KS

Peak9

I have a personal lines client that is purchasing another home next month. He plans to leave the property vacant for the next 6 months or so before scraping the home (including foundation) and building a new home on the lot.

I am running into a few issues:

1. Vacant property - obvious
2. Timing of the project - since my client doesn't plan to scrape the home and start building a new home for at least 6 months, starting a builders risk policy doesn't make sense.
3. Since the structure is eventually going to be torn down, I have been declined.

If anyone has any thoughts on carriers I should approach, it will be greatly appreciated.

I have a personal lines client that is purchasing another home next month. He plans to leave the property vacant for the next 6 months or so before scraping the home (including foundation) and building a new home on the lot.

2. Timing of the project - since my client doesn't plan to scrape the home and start building a new home for at least 6 months, starting a builders risk policy doesn't make sense.
3. Since the structure is eventually going to be torn down, I have been declined.

If anyone has any thoughts on carriers I should approach, it will be greatly appreciated.

Why would he need property coverage if his intent is to demolish the building?

What I have seen so far is investors or house flippers who gut a home and take 6-12+ months to fix it up but carry no insurance. When they eventually get ready to find some insurance, they are paying a steep price for not having any. It's treated like a lapse in coverage and the cost seems to rise quite a bit.

I had a property that was giving me a headache, spoke to an underwriter that encouraged me to increase the premium thru all the endorsements. I did manage to lower the deductible and for whatever reason that did the trick with their underwriting which really seems to be computer software but it worked.

Refere it to the place below, it's not worth your time.

Home - National Real Estate Insurance Group | Commercial Real Estate Insurance | Real Estate Risk Management Consultants | Investment Property Risk Management Services

Back