Verification of Proposed Insured's Driving Record....

Do all life insurance companies verify a proposed insured's driving record (history)?

This question was asked of me today by another new agent and I don't have a clue.

Do they check everyone who applies for life insurance or is it a random sort of thing?

Curious,I am.

I don't know if ALL companies check MVR's but the ones I write with that do have it listed in their underwriting requirements. In my experience most companies check MVR and MIB records even on non medical applicants

Do all life insurance companies verify a proposed insured's driving record (history)?

This question was asked of me today by another new agent and I don't have a clue.

Do they check everyone who applies for life insurance or is it a random sort of thing?

Curious,I am.

Not sure if they do or not, however I would assume and would recommend that you always think that they do and tell your clients that as well so they will be truethful when they answer the questions.

Every carrier I've worked with checks MVRs at the time of initial underwriting or at renewal. I don't see how a carrier couldn't do this for every policyholder and stay in business.

Every carrier I've worked with checks MVRs at the time of initial underwriting or at renewal. I don't see how a carrier couldn't do this for every policyholder and stay in business.

You are thinking autos (based on the renewal comment), the question had to do with life insurance.

I do believe most life companies check mvr's at issue as well. In fact, I've had policies rated for mvr records that I didn't check when written, but the carrier did. Based on that, I know they check, just not sure if its always done by every carrier.

Now, if the person says they don't have a drivers license, what does the carrier do? Do you as an agent have an obligation to report that they claim to not have a license but they drove themselves to my office?

Dan

Now, if the person says they don't have a drivers license, what does the carrier do? Do you as an agent have an obligation to report that they claim to not have a license but they drove themselves to my office?

Dan

If you knew it for a fact, yes. Otherwise you are defrauding the company. By signing the agent's report, you are saying that you have shared all relevant facts with the carrier.

Back