Violation: Running Drugs on Medicare.gov

How is helping someone review PDP's when you are not appointed/certified any different from the agents that only show plans they are certified to sell?

Or an agent that is certified and shows/recommends a plan he/she where they are not certified.

Last edited:
Yes, stop doing drugs, it's bad for your health.

In all seriousness, I think we all get the same scenarios. I have one lady who just couldn't wrap her head around why the higher premium plan cost less. In addition, she had multiple scenarios. I ended up running 6 different comparisons for her and finally spelling it out medication by medication of what her copay would be and the light bulb finally went off. I normally wouldn't have done it, but she's been a great source of referrals for me.

I mentioned creating a video tutorial for next year to Bob(somarco) and he sent me an email with 5 links showing Part D tutorial. I may be using those next year.

My nature is to want to help. But I just get tired after running so many comparisons and answering so many questions. A good number of my clients take what I say as the gospel. But some just take way too much time. I think the most frustrating part of all is when they forget to tell you about a medication or they don't pay attention to the list on the comparison and at a later date they say "oh, I'm not taking that anymore". Usually AFTER you've already completed an enrollment. And then removing that medication means a different plan for them.

Definitely time to make some changes.

I am so there this year, I guess because i am starting to have a book of buis, I never thought twice about running comparisons, As I didn't want another agent trying to steel my supp client ad they shop PDP.

However this year am am constantly getting calls from clients to run new comparison and find I am working till 9pm every night

I don't mind working that late, But when it is just to run PDP comparisons and answer the most modain question and I am not making money on it, Something has to change.

I have not been a video guy, I don't even know where to begin. But it seems it is a no brainer.

----------

Medicare plan finder lesson 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SCvgSZURBA

Medicare plan finder lesson 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnLD-5RlAnU

Medicare plan finder lesson 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orAD3tdzLZ4

Medicare plan finder lesson 4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJMDgDgRnVk

Medicare plan finder lesson 5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBy7N8PX5EI

Medicare plan finder overview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQQJ7ry_H6k

Awsome...............

I try to get everything in order via email by replying to VM with an email requesting the drug list and pharmacy. I find if I can avoid the naming and spelling of the meds over the phone and then copying and pasting the med.gov screenshot saying "here is the plan that looks best" or "you are in a good spot" I am able to avoid much of the time suck that this creates.

I also have an assistant input the meds and run comparisons. Then she emails me the screenshot of the top plan and I review/recommend. Also that info is then saved in your email so next year you just search the clients name and you can see the Id and password date. I've found that is easier for me than copying and pasting the password into excel or other formats.

I try to get everything in order via email by replying to VM with an email requesting the drug list and pharmacy. I find if I can avoid the naming and spelling of the meds over the phone and then copying and pasting the med.gov screenshot saying "here is the plan that looks best" or "you are in a good spot" I am able to avoid much of the time suck that this creates. I also have an assistant input the meds and run comparisons. Then she emails me the screenshot of the top plan and I review/recommend. Also that info is then saved in your email so next year you just search the clients name and you can see the Id and password date. I've found that is easier for me than copying and pasting the password into excel or other formats.

You realize it's a CMS violation to request their drug list though?

If they offer to give it to you that's fine. But you can't ask for it.

You can't make this stuff up.

If they offer to give it to you that's fine. But you can't ask for it.

You can't make this stuff up.

Yep. I tell them I can't ask them for their list of medications, but I am unable to run a comparison and advise them which plan is the least expensive for them unless I know what medications they take. I then tell them it's completely up to them whether or not they want to give me a list of their meds.

CMS is brilliant!

Yep. I tell them I can't ask them for their list of medications, but I am unable to run a comparison and advise them which plan is the least expensive for them unless I know what medications they take. I then tell them it's completely up to them whether or not they want to give me a list of their meds.

CMS is brilliant!

I basically tell them the exact same thing.

If they would like to tell me about their medications, I can provide a more accurate estimate of their drug costs on a particular plan, but it is completely optional.

Or something along those lines.

Re: Violation: Running Drugs on Medicare.g

Yes. But,

Please find me one single agent in the US that has rec'd a violation for doing this?

CMS has bigger fish to fry.

Just my opinion.

Agreed, what regs show its a violation to request a drug list to review options, esp if you don't represent the carrier?

Y'all are paranoid. Do what's right/best for the client and worry about something else.

Yep. I tell them I can't ask them for their list of medications, but I am unable to run a comparison and advise them which plan is the least expensive for them unless I know what medications they take. I then tell them it's completely up to them whether or not they want to give me a list of their meds. CMS is brilliant!

Uh oh! You said "least expensive. "

That's gotta be at least another 10-point violation.

Back