Voice recording clients

...so with the new CMS rule about voice recording everything. What if you are out at a game or function and a potential client ask general questions..or if you get into conversation with a old couple that ask questions because I am wearing my agencies Medicare t-shirt or something..so I have to tell them stop talking and let me get out my phone to record it?

I just read the new CMS guide lines and it says “Make sure to tell them first that they are assholes”before you explain about how they are wasting your recording time. That should work

...so with the new CMS rule about voice recording everything. What if you are out at a game or function and a potential client ask general questions..or if you get into conversation with a old couple that ask questions because I am wearing my agencies Medicare t-shirt or something..so I have to tell them stop talking and let me get out my phone to record it?

You don't have to record in person communication. Only communication that falls within the CMS marketing rules.

My personal plan has been this:

I do not have to record calls about general questions, as that does not fall under CMS marketing rules. Now, the moment they become interested in MAPD or PDP, that's something you need to end the call... If they're your beneficiary and call about their MAPD/PDP plan, stop the current call, restart a new call, and record. CMS hasn't directed a real plan on how this is supposed to be enforced... so it will likely fall to the carriers to do so.

It's not like CMS is going to contact you to obtain a recording unless it's a pattern. It's just not worth the expense. It's more (IMO) for sales appointments to ensure you're fully explaining benefits.. but navigate your calls as you see appropriate.

Obviously none of this is legal advice... just my plan.

Back