Voicemails... Do You Leave One? What's Your Script?

Hello. I'm a fairly new agent with Mutual of Omaha in Atlanta. I've been having some decent success setting appointments. I think my phone rapport is pretty good, but I have run into one problem; voicemails...

I'm not sure if it's my script, or if it's just that people don't return cold calls from voicemails. I'm fighting myself on if I should just not even leave a voicemail so the next time I call the suspect thinks "Hmm...there's that local number again, I wonder who it is...".

I'm finding that when I leave voicemails, that I have a much lower success of ever reaching the suspect after that. So I'm sure you guys are wondering what my script is. It's something along the lines of this...

"Hello Mr./Mrs. X, this is Stephen at Mutual of Omaha. I was calling in regards to your X insurance inquiry. I work not too far down the road from you, so I'd be more than glad to sit down with you and show you your options some time when it's convenient. You can reach me at XXX-XXXX-XXXX. Thank you much and have a great day!"

Thoughts/Mocks?

Your link was broken. I did search for "voicemail" and "voicemails" and no results showed. I did another search for "leave message" and found some results, but mostly they were on how to leave a voicemail, instead of if it is even a good idea to leave one.

I do make a point to anunciate and slowly give my contact information, but I'm wondering if it is even wise to leave a voicemail. Maybe my script just sucks...

Maybe my script just sucks...

I think you're on to something.

Let's think about this a second...do you think that the people that you leave a message for can't live another day without calling someone back to arrange a time for an insurance agent to come over and try to ram a policy home?

As soon as they hear "insurance agent", and "Mutual of Omaha" - you're done! You're leaving a message that makes them NOT want to call you back. You need to come up with one that would actually make them WANT to call you back.

Another tip: use your first AND last name. It will give you some credibility. "This is Stephen...." is how telemarketers speak.

Good luck.

Well, I would shorten your script, but your not really doing anything wrong.
Prospects generally dont return voicemails if your cold calling. Maybe .5%-1% ever will if they had truly requested LI info or a call for an agent (if your working bought leads, which I consider luke warm).
But if your just some random insurance agent calling and leaving a voice mail dont expect a call back.
At most I will say my name & number and ask them to give me a call.

But I am not a big fan of voicemail in general. I would rather call the client back than wait for them to call me. If you leave a voicemail your obligated to wait a day for them to call you back. If you dont leave a voicemail you could hypothetically call in the morning and call back in the afternoon and not be considered rude in doing so....

M&M,

LOL...

Okay, so you're probably right.

Now, other than leaving my full name, you didn't give me much else to work with.

Are you saying I SHOULDN'T tell them who I work for? Should I just try to emphasize that I'm local and I'd like to help them figure out their insurance situation?

I can't just call and say "Hello, my name is Joe Smith. How are ya'? Give me a call back and we'll chat." can I???

I have spent the last several years managing a telemarketing firm. We never leave voice mail messages. It did not matter if we were calling B2B or consumer. Just get no response. Takes up valuable time while you could be dialing others. Calling is all in the numbers. More dials you make, the more people you talk to, the more appointments you make, the more sales you make, the more money you make.

"For Mr. Prospect #23785, this is John Smith calling. I know I'm probably the 38th person to call you today, but just wanted to send you some quotes that aren't accurate and have you fill out an application. Give me a call back. Bye."

I can't just call and say "Hello, my name is Joe Smith. How are ya'? Give me a call back and we'll chat." can I???

If they are true cold leads that is still just a waste of time.
Leave the ball in your court, hang up and call them back at a different time

They don't want to "sit down" with you. If they're looking for help or advice, just tell them to call you back. They'll find someone else to ask that they don't have to "sit down" with to get the information.

Back