VOIP for business phone?

Newby

Guru
5000 Post Club
I'm opening a new office and I'm trying to decide whether to use a VOIP phone rather than order a business line from the local phone company.

What are your opinions of your VOIP lines (this question is for those that actually have them)?

Are you listed in the local phone directory? I sell face to face in two towns. I want them to be able to look me up and verify that I'm in the phone book.

is www.voip.com a good place to get it or is there a better place? I already have my fax with RingCentral if that makes any difference.

I have used VOiP for over two years with minimal to no problems, and it's saved me well over $2,500 per year.

For two local numbers (different area codes), as well as a toll free number and all the bells & whistles features, including tax it's $44 a month...

Not sure whether you get to be in the phone book or not. I personally don't care, so it's no big deal for me.

VOIP all depends on your network connection. If you have a solid connection, clean network, it will work very well.

I recommend sticking with one of the more major VOIP providers, since you are dependent on their servers not getting severly overloaded. Pick one, it doesn't really matter much. Some have particular features that you might care about:

- Vonage
- Lingo
- Broadvoice (make sure you sign up as a business plan with them)
- Comcast

etc....

Dan

I checked Vonage a couple of years ago when I first started with VoIP. They couldn't (at that time, at least) offer toll free numbers.

I've used Packet 8. Great service, I have no complaints.

PS-Think they all offer unlimited long distance...?

I use Comcast phone - $33 per month for unlimited long distance with 12 calling features. Smokes the plan I had through Verizon.

I am getting this installed in about 1 week , they just snaked the wires to my office buildings. The price I contracted on was $20/mo and they are throwing in the "phone system" for no charge, where I can transfer between extensions, and voice mail - I won't need to buy a PBX or SOHO system.

Basic cable is free as well.

I think for 8 lines, 1 is a fax line, unlimited LD, Internet, and basic cable it was around $300/mo

Absolute steal.

I checked Vonage a couple of years ago when I first started with VoIP. They couldn't (at that time, at least) offer toll free numbers.

I've used Packet 8. Great service, I have no complaints.

PS-Think they all offer unlimited long distance...?

I've had Vonage business pkg for at least 2 years. I have a couple 800 numbers so I can track individual mail pieces and ads. The fax line is a little touchy on some machines but I got that worked out. It works great.

I am not in the local directory but I don't care. I don't get hassled by the yellow page ad salepeople and I generate my own inbound calls.

The voicemail options and especially the one that comes via text to my email, the different forwarding options, ect... I will never go back to landline service.

Back