VolAgent's Rules to Live by As an Agent

VolAgent

Guru
5000 Post Club
Some of these were taught to me by my grandfather, many I have learned repeatedly through experience and some I was fortunate enough to learn through observation. So in no particular order and violating rule #7.

1. When in doubt, follow the Golden Rule. It will never steer you wrong.
2. To quote a mentor, "Pigs get fed and hogs get slaughtered." Never get greedy.
3. If you find yourself saying, "Its just business", stop. All you are doing is twisting the knife in deeper.
4. Don't sell your ethics, you will never get full price and the buyer will never return them.
5. Insurance is just a promise that isn't even worth the paper it is printed on. Keep your word and work with companies that do right because it is the right thing, not because a court forced them.
6. Given enough time, your reputation will precede you. Make sure you can stomach the stench when you arrive.
7. Never stroke your own ego, it is more gratifying when others do it for you.
8. You are a matchmaker, your job is to find problems and solve them. The more valuable the problem solved, the more you get paid.

Last edited:
My father's two rules of life:

1. Don't sweat the small stuff.

2. It's ALL small stuff.

My grandfather's prime rule:

Never pick your nose with your mouth open.

He told me I'd figure out someday what that means. I never have, other than the obvious.

I tend to forget that one, but you are right. You have often said.

They should be thanking you for fixing it for them.

I have been using my phone and tablet so I could not see the Avatars. I just realized I still have my wife and son in my Avatar. Got to find my Woody WoodPecker one.

Thanks VolAgent, it gives me hope to see there are agents with integrity out there.

Wishing the companies would be the same. Very disturbing to see that many life cos don't pay the DB unless contacted by someone...even if they KNOW the insured has passed on.

Last edited:
Thanks VolAgent, it gives me hope to see there are agents with integrity out there.

Wishing the companies would be the same. Very disturbing to see that many life cos don't pay the DB unless contacted by someone...even if they KNOW the insured has passed on.

Vol is definitely a unicorn.

I have part of Companies searching for beneficiaries that had no idea there was a policy. You are mistaken.

Several carriers have been fined for failing to properly use the DMF (death master file). Some reports put the accuracy of the DMF at less than 90%.

That raises the question of using a file that may not be up to date.

Credit agencies also refer to the DMF to determine if they want to lend money to a dead person.

Back