Voya to exit individual life sales at end of the year

Brian Anderson

Executive Editor
100+ Post Club
Brian Anderson submitted a new article

Voya to exit individual life sales at end of the year
bigstock_Life_Insurance_Policy_30640067.jpg

Chairman and CEO says decision aligns with plans to focus on its higher-growth, higher-return, capital-light businesses: Retirement, investment management and employee benefits.
Continue reading the Original Article.

Thanks,

Do they usually keep 1 product open for conversations? And close everything for new business?

It depends on the carrier. But that is exactly what Jackson National did. I know a few others have done similar things.

Jackson now just has a Level DB non-participating Whole Life policy to convert to. No cash value to speak of. After about 30 years the client would have paid as much in Premium as the DB was. Basically a FE policy.

Thats no guarantee the same will happen with Voya. But what incentive do they have to keep decent UL or WL products on the books if they no longer sell those products? Its a HUGE expense to maintain them. Conversions alone are not going to create profits on that expense.

Im not saying its morally just to the clients... Im just saying thats business. It is what it is.

It depends on the carrier. But that is exactly what Jackson National did. I know a few others have done similar things.

Jackson now just has a Level DB non-participating Whole Life policy to convert to. No cash value to speak of. After about 30 years the client would have paid as much in Premium as the DB was. Basically a FE policy.

Thats no guarantee the same will happen with Voya. But what incentive do they have to keep decent UL or WL products on the books if they no longer sell those products? Its a HUGE expense to maintain them. Conversions alone are not going to create profits on that expense.

Im not saying its morally just to the clients... Im just saying thats business. It is what it is.

Agreed.

I have not looked into the JNL options recently. They also no longer pay comp on the conversion.

Most companies will have horrible opinions. Genworth has a poorly performing UL. CNA Valley Forge has a very high cost Non Par WL.

The companies understand adverse selection.

Back