W. Clement Stone

smokin goose

Guru
1000 Post Club
Kentucky
Anyone ever heard this true story?

A man decided to get into the insurance business. He went to Stone and asked if he could help him get started with some referrals. Stone said "Yes". The next day the man picked up the 10 referrals written on cards from Stone's office. A week or so goes by and the man returns, very excited. "Mr. Stone, I've sold 8 out of the ten so far and I've got appointments with the other 2. Could you make me out some more cards?" Stone said "Well, I'm pretty busy. Here's the phone book. You make your own cards. That's where I got them from." The man said "oh no no". Stone said "Oh, yes. I got one from the A's, one from the B's and so on until I had ten names. You can copy just as well as I can. You make your own cards." He finally convinced the man and the man made his own cards. The man went back out and only got 2 appointments, much less make a sell.

What's the moral? Cut loose on it guys.

A lead is no more than a name and phone number. It's all in what you make of it. Look at this way, if you make yourself a sandwich, it's pretty good. But, if some else makes you the exact same sandwich , it just seems to taste better. But in reality, there was no difference only the approach.

Besides his other enterprizes, Stone also published a magazine called, (if I remember correctly), Success Magazine. He was a great advocate of Hill's and preached positive thinking. Might have been the forerunner of motivational tapes.

A lead is no more than a name and phone number. It's all in what you make of it. Look at this way, if you make yourself a sandwich, it's pretty good. But, if some else makes you the exact same sandwich , it just seems to taste better. But in reality, there was no difference only the approach.

Love the analogy! :-)

If I remember correctly I think there is a similar story to that one in " How I Raised Myself From Failure To Success In Selling ". Maybe it was in W. Clement Stone's Success System That Never Fails.

If I remember correctly I think there is a similar story to that one in " How I Raised Myself From Failure To Success In Selling ". Maybe it was in W. Clement Stone's Success System That Never Fails.

Could be. I know I love this story. N. Hill told it in his "Science of Personal Achievement".

Anyone ever heard this true story?

A man decided to get into the insurance business. He went to Stone and asked if he could help him get started with some referrals. Stone said "Yes". The next day the man picked up the 10 referrals written on cards from Stone's office. A week or so goes by and the man returns, very excited. "Mr. Stone, I've sold 8 out of the ten so far and I've got appointments with the other 2. Could you make me out some more cards?" Stone said "Well, I'm pretty busy. Here's the phone book. You make your own cards. That's where I got them from." The man said "oh no no". Stone said "Oh, yes. I got one from the A's, one from the B's and so on until I had ten names. You can copy just as well as I can. You make your own cards." He finally convinced the man and the man made his own cards. The man went back out and only got 2 appointments, much less make a sell.

What's the moral? Cut loose on it guys.

My first inclination is to think it's a made up story. But maybe that's just the cynic in me that's been developed by all the BS marketers out there?

I've been reading "The Success System That Never Fails" off and on for a couple months. That's where that story appears. Interesting book, except for a wierd chapter where he gets into ESP in kind of an odd way. But otherwise very motivating & interesting history.

Back