Walk and Talk Instead of Calling?

ydnar723

I am fairly new to the insurance business, I will be working with Health and Life.
The company I am appointed by has suggested cold calling...I am not a fan of it, probably because I always don't like a cold call, especially when I am in the middle of a thought. I learned I make zero appointments on the cold call no matter what script or method I use suggested to me when I call and tend to get interupted and hung up by the person I call, even had one person who hung up on me after I no more then said "Hi my name is.."

I feel I am a good people person, but perhaps cold calling is not my venture.

I did dig up in some material in the office about walking and talking, the problem I had with it is I am not "getting my foot in the door" it only recommends I Introduce myself, ask to leave a business card and walk away.
I don't think that gives anyone any idea of what I really do and why I am coming to you to begin with, I have a purpose, but I don't think with a script so simple I am telling you what my purpose is.

I was looking around and hoping someone could help with any ideas with this method and if people found themselves more sucessful then cold calling.

What do you say when you walk into a business? (right now my focus is small business owners, typically sole owner or up to 5 employees)

I was thinking of asking for the owner, but I don't want to be classified as rude.
I was hoping to go the receptionist (if there is one) and introduce myself, explain that I specialize in Health and Life insurance and would like to leave my contact information and some information for those interested in purchasing or supplimenting an existing policy with the person in charge of benefits. Perhaps when I give the information ask if I can follow up with a phone call to the person this information will be left with in the next couple of days and ask for that persons contact info.

Can someone give me some thoughts on this? I am really anxious to get some appointments to meet with people and show more detail and explain further on their options, but at the same time, to me everyone is an oppertunity and I have a good chance of helping them.

Thank you in advance!

Thank you healthagent, very informative information, that has given me a clear direction as to what I can do when I get the owner and actually say things and present myself without cramming my info down their throat.

I do want to clarify or ask, the slide mentioned asking for owner or manager (someone running the place)

What if in the event say someone is out to lunch, in a meeting (say a managers meeting where everyone is conferencing for the majority of the day) what would you say or do? If Joe employee or the receptionist tells you this, what would you say or do, more so I could do) do I offer to say if there is a time to come back, do I offer to leave some information and ask to follow up with a call?)

It's not perfect but someone has to be running the place. If the owner's not available I'll ask for the manager. If the person up front says everyone's in a meeting I'll just leave the flyer with that person and leave. You cannot afford to waste any time since you're only gaining 1 client per 75 businesses. It's very easy to linger around in each business - in fact that's the kiss of death.

Imagine just spending 5 minutes in each business. 5 X 75 businesses = 375 minutes or 6.25 hours. It should only take you three which means 2.5 minutes per business...and no more. It evens out. Most business you're in and out within 30 seconds and with some you might spend 8 minutes.

Another tip is not to spend a lot of time even with interested owners. Some will be bored and want to go on and on. Be friendly, get their info for the quote, set a follow up time and leave.

It's vital that you have a reason to walk into the business - and that reason isn't "I'm offering free quotes." My reason was always "there are new plans available in Maryland." That's a reason.

I got completely off the ground in this biz going BtoB so if you want some detailed tips just contact me at [email protected]

Last edited:
Thank you again, that is pretty much my purpose.

I will follow up with you in an email too, I got a few more things in my head too, I have learned from seasoned folks that I don't want to give too much information, but I don't want to give too little either
That is something else I wanted to make sure I didn't do, but your example gets to the point, establishing purpose, gave some information that may prompt them to ask more questions, etc.

Here's an example of why agents fail going BtoB - going in with a stale, meaningless canned "offering quotes" script.

You're an owner and someone walks in from a local restaurant:

Wrong: I'm from Big Billy's BBQ and we just wanted to hand out our menu and ask if you were interested in our catering?

Response: No

Right: I'm from Big Bill's BBQ (hand menu to owner) and wanted to make sure you knew that we just added a 1/2 off rib night every Wednesday. Also, how many employees do you have here?

Owner: 5

"Well if you really want to give them a nice surprise, we can cater lunch and it'll only cost $X" per head."

What area are you going to work with? It's better to walk in highly populated business areas, so you don't waste your time moving from one place to another.

I plan to go into some populated areas, not the business every 17 miles (least in some parts of this state that seems to be the case) and waste too much time, but to be able to park my car, take a walk, etc

I did dig up in some material in the office about walking and talking, the problem I had with it is I am not "getting my foot in the door" it only recommends I Introduce myself, ask to leave a business card and walk away.
I don't think that gives anyone any idea of what I really do and why I am coming to you to begin with, I have a purpose, but I don't think with a script so simple I am telling you what my purpose is.

Introduce yourself and get their business card. Even if you don't talk to the owner ask the gatekeeper

"Can you put your hands on Joe Business owners card?" They wil most likely give it to you and then call them the next day mention you stopped by to introduce yourself and transition into asking for an appointment.

Back