Walk Up Cold Calling with a Script

gmancan

I recently passed my A&S insurance exam, got my license and I am in the process of training with my company.

They've got me memorizing what I think is a horridly long script. After that it goes into a very long read and progresses painfully slow. As I shadow the training agents I can see the prospects getting bored and annoyed. The script sounds so cheesy. Despite this, they actually do get results. I think the results are from the fact we are selling an excellent product, not from the script. Built into the script are emotional stories which also sound scripted and long winded. Even with minimal objections or resistance it takes at least an hour to get to a close, often longer.

I've expressed my concerns and discomfort. I am told to "trust in the system" because it works. I am encouraged to not stray from the script.

I feel like its a huge time waster and it spends more time talking AT the prospect rather than engaging the prospect in any kind of meaningful dialog.

Left to my own devices, I would do a quick introduction and proceed right into asking some probing questions to evaluate their needs and concerns.

I've never sold insurance before. I have sold a lot of other products/services but never door to door. I have no problem walking up and introducing myself to people. My fear is this script. Is my fear justified? I feel I could accomplish more with far less. Is this the way things are supposed to be done?

Any advise or feedback is welcome.

Every company does things differently - especially depending on the product line.

Having an A&S license means that you're probably selling disability, hospital indemnity, cancer, critical illness, and similar policies.

I don't know which company you're with... but you may want to read W. Clement Stone's book "The Success System That Never Fails". One of the ideas in the book is that you don't ask for a person's time... you take it... because what you have is so good that they need to hear about it and THEN tell you they want to buy, or not.

This is called "interruption marketing". At Combined Insurance, I learned this basic script:

"In five minutes, I can show you how you can have cash paid directly to you in case of emergency. It's quick, easy, and hassle-free." Then I went down a list of 4 types of situations and sample benefits.

"You can get cash up to $50,000 in the event of a critical illness, like a heart attack, stroke, or cancer. You can get up to $5,000 per month in case you are disabled and cannot work. Your family can receive up to $100,000 if the worst happened to you. You can get other benefits in the event of various accidents. Tell me, of these four, which would you prefer to learn more about?"

Do I like it? No. I prefer to ask for a quick minute to introduce myself and then let them decide if they'd like to talk further... but I don't sell accident and sickness products like this anymore. I did it and I'm glad for the experience, but I wouldn't want to do it that way again.

Back