walkin' and talkin'

aufan

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Hey guys....thought i'd be the initial post for the new forum. Have been over on the "other board" and have really enjoyed the opinions and feedback from all the posters.

Wrote three new health apps today at a local tire store for a guy that I had pretty much given up on. He actually let me write the apps three months ago then would not give me a voided check. I checked with him weekly until he said "i'll give you a call when I'm ready". To make a long story short I basically walked in today and said, "Mr. Pete....you ready to wrap these apps up?". He said, "yessir....let's get them going!". Gave me a check, signed the apps, and I was out of their in 15 minutes or less.

Persistence pays in this business.

I would have thought he was just a "tire kicker" LOL. So what do you think the reason for his delay was? One thing that I have found is that clients will buy when they are ready to buy - not when you are ready to sell. It always sucked when I was captive and had production quotas, miss it by one and get zapped for $500 or more - then the next day or so, someone would call me back 'cause they were ready to sign. Sure, I would sign them but the damage was already in my wallet. Quotas make agents use more pressure tactics which is not my style. The only quotas I can accept are self imposed.

Boy..that's the million dollar question isn't it; knowing when the customer is ready to buy. In this situation, the owner let me take the apps but was not ready to give me the check. He did tell me he was waiting on a quote from another agent but it would have been very easy for me to just give up after say the 4th or 5th follow up. I really just happened to hit him on the right day at the right time.

In my area of the country, small business owners want to really "connect" with you before they trust you enough to buy. Of course, you've got to bring some value to the table, so you really got to hit them "where it hurts" so-to-speak and that's in their pocket books. That's why we as independent agents have such a great advantage is we can show them how they can control their costs along with taking advantage of the tax laws as they apply to self funded and/or HSA plans.

So what's some creative ways you guys "walk and talk"? I know I've really enjoyed John's input on how he has targeted small groups and inviduals in his market up their in VA. How 'bout it John?

Persistence pays.

I had a guy I "chased" for close to 20 years. Started calling on him when I lived in Birmingham. Never did any business.

After moving to Atlanta I would pop in on him when I was in town. On one of those trips back I hit him at the right time. That was a $60k account (commission). Kept it for 3 years, then he began spinning off some of the companies. Nine years later I still have one of his smaller companies and get $500/month in renewals.

I figure I have made around $250k off him over the last 9 years.

Not saying it will happen to you, or ever happen to me again, but sometimes it never hurts to keep in contact.

John.....are you calling me a dog?

Just kidding buddy.....seems everyone needs to lighten up a little bit in the "new" forum.

aufan said:
John.....are you calling me a dog?

Just kidding buddy.....seems everyone needs to lighten up a little bit in the "new" forum.

I guess he was! So you have a problem with that? Better a dog then a Beeetch. :D

john_petrowski said:
If you tie a contract to a dog's tail and let it run around the neighborhood long enough it'll come back with a signature on it.

Now there's a time tested idea - go anyplace with a dog or a kid and you're sure to strike up a conversation. Not sure if the prop would work in B2B though (LOL).

I've never heard it put quite that way, but the saying sounds like it has a lot of "sales experience " attached to it. Simple yet true, Dog's gona see lots of people, doesn't care if you pet it or not. Dog's just gona keep on truckin' and seeing more people. Great attitude to keep while working B2B. I think I'll start using that one today. Thanks.

Back