Walking into a Bus. 1st time

toc3

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
OK, so I walk into a business to sale supplemental cancer and heart and no I am not with the DUCK. So I walk into a doctors office and of course the first person you see is the receptionist. What do you say? Hi my name is xyz I would like to meet with the owner regarding employee benefits? or Hi, my name is xyz and I specialize in enhancing employee benefits. Whom should I speak to about that? Help please.

Hi. I'm XYZ and I'm an insurance rep specializing in small businesses, law and medical practices. (In one breath... no pause] Do you have a group plan are you the office manager?

The Jackass

Hi. I'm XYZ and I'm an insurance rep specializing in small businesses, law and medical practices. (In one breath... no pause] Do you have a group plan are you the office manager?

The Jackass
I like that. Nice way to break the ice I suppose. In your experience is the office manager the best person to start with?

OK, so I walk into a business to sale supplemental cancer and heart and no I am not with the DUCK. So I walk into a doctors office and of course the first person you see is the receptionist. What do you say? Hi my name is xyz I would like to meet with the owner regarding employee benefits? or Hi, my name is xyz and I specialize in enhancing employee benefits. Whom should I speak to about that? Help please.

Good luck, you'll need it. Sounds like a recipe for DEATH to me.

Better idea: find someone who's got groups on the books that you can enhance, and share with them.

The idea is to see them on a favorable basis. When you walk in cold what you provide is fodder for the girls working there to laugh at.

Last edited:
I like that. Nice way to break the ice I suppose. In your experience is the office manager the best person to start with?

Sometimes, sometimes not. It depends on who the decision maker is. Some docs make all the decisions... others don't want anything to do with the biz side. Basically you have a better shot at seeing the office manager than the doc. And with worksite, if the office manager does not buy in, forget about it because you will get crappy working conditions.

Personally, I think you are nuts to try to sell worksite in this economy. Any extra cash an employee had in their paycheck as been gobbled up by gas and food increases. The biz owners my "want" supps so that maybe they can lower their core benefits... but if the EEs can't afford them, it's a "why bother."

The average "buy" in worksite is $60 a month. Is anyone out there paying $60 more a month for gas and food than a year ago?

Worksite seems to sell better in the South than in the East and West... where employers offer better benefits. But pay raises have not kept pace with cost increases and people are tapped out. It will all catch up, but it will take a year or so.

The Jackass

Good luck, you'll need it. Sounds like a recipe for DEATH to me.

Better idea: find someone who's got groups on the books that you can enhance, and share with them.

The idea is to see them on a favorable basis. When you walk in cold what you provide is fodder for the girls working there to laugh at.

That's been my experience. Never quite understood cold calling businesses because the people you see are typically not the decisionmakers and they're either trained to shoo you away or have no idea what to tell you to begin with.

I guess I'd wonder how to team up with the 'group' person. In my area, they don't like to share much...plus why share if they can do it themselves anyway (and most of them do).

Any other ideas?

toc3,

Do not pass go. Immediately purchase The Sales Bible by Jeffrey Gitomer. Turn to page 107, The Book Of Cold Calling, then page 111, How To Get To The Decision Maker On A Cold Call.

If you buy Jeffrey Gitomer's book, the only person's income you will improve is his.

The fact that the world is your prospect base is long gone, and very antiquated. You need to find a "market" that you are comfortable calling on. People who have the same interests, personalities, and cultures.

Calling on doctors, only because you hear that they have money, and are an easy pick, is not the way to go.

It may be electricians who you have most in common. You will find that you will have an easier time talking to people who are in your "sweet spot".

As for a script, I do believe you need to have something to say in the beginning. Rule of thumb: Introduce yourself to someone, the way you'd like them to introduce themselves to you, if you were busy.

I live by the "Rule of 3's". You have 3 seconds, to earn the right to stay there 30 seconds longer, to make time for a 3 minute introduction, to schedule a meeting for no more than 30 minutes, with a possible follow up meeting for 3 hours, leading to a relationship that lasts at least 3 years, possibly yielding you 300 leads.

I didn't read that in a book, I learned it from someone who holds me accountable for my actions.

Back