Wall Street Article In Yesterday's Paper

Bob_The_Insurance_Guy

Guru
1000 Post Club
Decatur, Ga.
Read an article in the Wall Street Journal talking about Hospice Care, and how it has now expanded to include those with Dementia or Alzheimer's. It's not just for Cancer anymore!

While I won't bore you with the details of the article, it occurred to me that Hospice is now the New Long Term Care. It mentions a Centenarian who has been in and out of Hospice for thirty years now. Between her (now) 70 year old daughter, and their physician, they have been able to keep the revolving door of Hospice moving for her.

While part of me is made about this abuse of the system, another part of me says, "Hey, if you can get the system to work for you, why not?!"

Look at all the money they've saved in LTC Premiums. I gotta find a way to start selling Hospice plans.

Not sure where you got that article but Hospice never was just for cancer. My own mother was on Hospice for years and never a hint of cancer. As far as I always knew Hospice was for the terminally ill, didn't matter the reason.

Not sure where you got that article but Hospice never was just for cancer. My own mother was on Hospice for years and never a hint of cancer. As far as I always knew Hospice was for the terminally ill, didn't matter the reason.

Hospice is to make people comfortable who are terminally ill and they have given up on trying to cure them. People can't be on hospice if they are still being medically treated. It's more for pain management leading to death.

Hospice is to make people comfortable who are terminally ill and they have given up on trying to cure them. People can't be on hospice if they are still being medically treated. It's more for pain management leading to death.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Can you be terminally ill, and still live another 30+ years?

Is Dementia and Alzheimer's a terminal illness. I thought it was more along the lines of Diabetes. A progressive illness.

The article was in last Friday's WSJ, page 1.

Hey Bob, are you familiar with Type 3 Diabetes?

Alzheimer's Disease Is Type 3 Diabetes

That's my point. If Alzheimer's is Type 3 Diabetes, that would fall under "Progressive" as opposed to "Terminal"? I know there are circumstances whereby Hospice care is not just for the Terminally ill, but for the other large percentage of cases, it is used predominantly for end of life.

I think that is the point the writer of the article and myself were trying to get across. What's to stop someone who has read that article to say, "OK. Stop the payments on the LTC Plan. From here on out, whenever mom gets too sick to stay on her own, we'll just get Doc Johnson to write her a referral to Hospice."

My grandmother was on hospice, had Emphysema, she lasted a long time even on hospice for being "terminal". Those workers are god's angels imo. I can't imagine the pain and suffering they encounter on a daily basis. I had a college professor tell us about her hospice days while taking her "Death and Dying" class. It sounds like emotional hell, which is why she got out.

So, should Hospice be expanded to include every situation, whereby the patient is in need of pain relief? Regardless of what it is.

If that's the case, then shouldn't Long Term Care insurance be a thing of the past? Since everyone is not answering my question, and giving emotional real life situations, then I will stop trying to make my point and ask, "Should it be open to include every situation, regardless of ailment?"

So, should Hospice be expanded to include every situation, whereby the patient is in need of pain relief? Regardless of what it is. If that's the case, then shouldn't Long Term Care insurance be a thing of the past? Since everyone is not answering my question, and giving emotional real life situations, then I will stop trying to make my point and ask, "Should it be open to include every situation, regardless of ailment?"

Bernie Sanders probably thinks so.

Back