Want To Be a New Agent

cshortal

Hello. In about a month I will be moving to a new state (NC) and am heavily debating becoming a life insurance agent. I have always been interested in financial services and feel like I have the potential to be good at it. I am 30 years old and have always hated every job I have ever had. I am in definite need of a career change. My question is what type of company should I consider? I see that Massmutual, Mutual of Omaha, Statefarm, and some other companies are hiring for the area I am moving to but I dont know much about which would be good for my situation coming to a brand new area where I wont know anyone. I have about a years worth of expenses saved in an emergency fund and I also have a sizable amount in the stock market that I could pull out if need be so I am not too worried about making money right away. Any thoughts on the companies I have mentioned and ideas on a good approach to a new market? Thank you

Hello. In about a month I will be moving to a new state (NC) and am heavily debating becoming a life insurance agent. I have always been interested in financial services and feel like I have the potential to be good at it. I am 30 years old and have always hated every job I have ever had. I am in definite need of a career change. My question is what type of company should I consider? I see that Massmutual, Mutual of Omaha, Statefarm, and some other companies are hiring for the area I am moving to but I dont know much about which would be good for my situation coming to a brand new area where I wont know anyone. I have about a years worth of expenses saved in an emergency fund and I also have a sizable amount in the stock market that I could pull out if need be so I am not too worried about making money right away. Any thoughts on the companies I have mentioned and ideas on a good approach to a new market? Thank you

After you move, why don't you interview with all of them? That way you can get more info. You should decide on what kind of insurance you're interested in selling.

After you move, why don't you interview with all of them? That way you can get more info. You should decide on what kind of insurance you're interested in selling.
Pretty much all the captive life outfits are going to want you to come up with a list 100-200 names to prospect starting out.

Since your new to the area, better start somewhere that will train you how to cold call, network, or will provide you with consistent leads.

And don't try going independent, without a marketing budget. You might get by without that for awhile, if you're good on the phone.

Wouldn't hurt to begin studying everything there is to know about marketing and lead generation also.

What part of NC are you moving to?

If you've hated every job you ever had, chances are good you will hate this too. Go check the numbers regarding how many insurance sales candidates wash out in the first 6-12 months. I'm sure the huge number that wash out hated this too.

If you've hated every job you ever had, chances are good you will hate this too. Go check the numbers regarding how many insurance sales candidates wash out in the first 6-12 months. I'm sure the huge number that wash out hated this too.

Not necessarily. I just havent found a job that utilizes my most skilled attributes I feel. I believe a job like this, would better suit my interests and skills. I also know that many people who wash out in 6-12 months is because of financial reasons a lot of times. That shouldnt be an issue for me because I have a solid nest egg that could potentially last me a few years if need be

NC is the redheaded step child of the insurance industry. Be prepared for a wild ride. There are plenty of places hiring in the area that will pay for your licensing but don't take any offer unless the training offered is extensive. Working for one of the big 3 captives in the area under a contract agent, you typically will only be an employee of the individual not the company. So each agency will vary. With that in mind, make sure it's worth it. In my short time I've seen 3 people come and go already in a 4 person agency. I think working for an independent agency or landing your own captive contract (if it's good enough) is the only way to really be comfortable. This all coming from someone who works for a captive agency. Best of luck!

Working for a captive agent or an independent agent for that matter can be a great place to cut your teeth if new to the industry especially for a young college graduate for example. Ultimately owning an agency or being the principal agent of the captive agency is a desirable goal for several of my employees but I figure that I can train them and get a lot out of them and get them prepared to hang the their own shingle one-day

Back