Wanting to go independent in Iowa

rjf2008

Hi everyone-

First post but regular visitor. I hope someone might be able to help me out a little here.

I have been a captive agent for a year and 2 months. I sell primarily personal lines p&c and life/di/ltc. I am fully licensed and was thinking of going independent. I have a pretty decent track record with my current company.

At first, I thought thought of maybe joining an indy. agency. Not a bad idea if I can get a good contract with it. If anyone knows of some good agencies in Des Moines area let me know. However, I think after a year or two of that I would likely want to start my own.

If I started my own agency out of my house, how hard would it be to contract with companies in Iowa? I understand all states are different. Also, if anyone could make a list of companies I could get in contact with I would appreciate it.

Not sure on how long this process takes but I would love to possibly have this going by Jan. Is that a good timeline?

Thanks

How about a nice email couldn't resist good luck guys in Iowa and Illinois. Can you tell me about American Communtiy in Iowa?

We just started our Independant Agency from scratch 3 years ago (in your area) and may be of assistance. Give Scott a call at 515-865-1829. Look forward to hearing from you.

Kar

If I started my own agency out of my house, how hard would it be to contract with companies in Iowa? I understand all states are different. Also, if anyone could make a list of companies I could get in contact with I would appreciate it.

Not sure on how long this process takes but I would love to possibly have this going by Jan. Is that a good timeline?

Thanks

If you are planning on becoming an independent broker, you will not have a challenge. You have many choices. The first question is, what type of insurance do you want to specialize in? Individual/Group... Life/Health etc.?

Back