Warning: Making Any Changes on Covered CA

cernainsurance

So we had made some minor changes (correcting last names, addresses) to some customers applications at the end of last month. For some reason some of the premiums were changing or a new plan had to be selected. We contacted CC to inform of this and they indicated that there were some system issues and would check into it and correct the problem. We did not see a resolution so we contacted them at the beginning of this month and received the "we are still looking into it" line.
Contacted them today and talked to a rep at CC and they advised that the new plan changes and premiums changes were correct!? They received an email from management that if there are any changes such as corrections to DOB's, address etc... that a new plan would have to be selected with the possibility of a different metal tier and premiums could change!!
This particular situation I had was the customer last name was misspelled by 1 letter. The customer called in to CC to make change. She received a revised bill a week later showing the correction but the rate had increased by $15 per month. I asked the rep that doesnt seem right! He said that the carriers are always changing rates and since a change was processed they had a new effective date for the following month and therefore putting them with the new new rates!
WOW!!!!
Have any other California agents experienced this???

I have not experienced this, but the logic on their end is very faulty. Certainly changing an address or a DOB can cause change in the premium, but changing spelling on the contract shouldn't force it to be re-issued.

the address change I was referring to was just correcting a number. I understand that if they moved different cities or the DOB is totally different thats understandable. But just making a simple correction to an address or a persons last name and it increasing premium or changing a tier in the plan?????

Not only that, prices are fixed for the year, there is no month to month changes filed. Maybe it was due to a birthday occurring in Jan - April?

Did the actual full policy premium change? Or did their subsidy amount change?
I'm just wondering if they managed to match something up financially and changed the subsidy levels. Or unmatched something financially and caused a subsidy change.

not sure if the premium changed or just the subsidy. Cant access that particular screen. The birthdate are in Jan & Dec so that isnt what caused it.

Unless it is Jan 1st birthdate, it would effect it. Pricing is based on the attained age on effective date of policy. I'm not in CA though, so things may be different.

Back