Was Captive, Looking Independent. Any Advice?

I was a captive agent in New Jersey for a year and decided to shut the doors. The majority of my business was home and auto. The high overhead required along with one carrier that became non competitive was a losing proposition. I have spoken with several independents and have seen a variety of offers. They have varied greatly. One end of the spectrum is a 40% new business and 30% renewal commission split, as an employee with them owning the book (with a buyout clause). They would provide all back office support, training and servicing of accounts along and a full line of 45 carriers including health and life. The other end, 75-75 split with two weeks of training, all the quoting tools and codes. I own the book but do all my own servicing, etc. I'm in my 50's, and married. Though I'd like income immediately, I have time to develop a book, my wife works and we live within our means. I understand there a personal choices to be made. That given I also realize there is a great deal of experience and knowledge available from you all. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Back