WC Ghost Policies - Any Money or Waste of Time?

1reason

Super Genius
Wisconsin
I'm receiving a call or two a week from a state that I'm not currently licensed in to sell WC if any policies. In Wisconsin, the commission is 4% if in the pool (the only market I know of in WI), and with an expense of about $220, that results in a commission of about $8.80 for what seems to average about two hours worth of work.

Wisconsin has several hoops to jump through and I think it ranks (in my view) as one of the worst states to write a ghost policy in. I do it though because I do get something else about 1/4 to 1/3 of the time. BTW, WI doesn't allow the agent to charge a fee.

I often hear from the insured that they've called several agents and were told "no", not surprising given the "high compensation".

So, back full circle, I'm also receiving calls to write it in another state I'm considering getting a license in, but if I don't have other products to offer, it seems like maybe I'm adding work without adding income. Wondering if anyone has used if any WC to build something with?

Thoughts?

I would have been one of the agents that said 'no', no way without supporting coverage.

I have done a few as an accomodation, but never without the GL and CA. Have one right now I'm doing for a pest control guy; no payroll but needs to show work comp to get work for some apartments. $1000 is our minimums here, so I make a little more than $8.

Back