Web Sites and Domain Names

Newby

Guru
5000 Post Club
I do a lot of direct mail advertising and want to start incorporating a web site along with that. I figure some people will go to a web site that won't mail in a reply card.

I was playing around on GoDaddy.com trying out different domains (most are taken or "premium" priced. But I bought a couple that interested me.

The one that shows the most promise is www.halfquote.com which I just bought for $9.95 a year. I could envision my mailing saying "about half the people are paying more than they need to for XYZ insurance. The other half are not. Which half are you in? Find out on www.halfquote.com

What do you think?

Now my big question...where can I go to get a good web site (or two) built? I don't mind paying the premium price if I know it's a good site that gets me leads if I drive the traffic to it.

Another domain I bought is just my name. Thought that would be good to own.

The third one is www.forethoughtfuneral.com . I bought that because Forethought Life Insurance is "The" name brand of insurance for funeral preplanning. They are now branching out in the final expense market so there will be consumers looking for them away from the funeral homes. My question on this one is: Is it legal to use the name of a company within your domain name? Even if I sell other brands of final expense insurance along with Forethought?

There are two basic schools of thought when trying to convert traffic. You can have a simple landing page that all the lead companies use, and just generate leads thought that, or you can have an extensive website that shows who you are and tells a lot about you.

The third one is www.forethoughtfuneral.com . I bought that because Forethought Life Insurance is "The" name brand of insurance for funeral preplanning. They are now branching out in the final expense market so there will be consumers looking for them away from the funeral homes. My question on this one is: Is it legal to use the name of a company within your domain name? Even if I sell other brands of final expense insurance along with Forethought?
I registered the domain securehorizonsdirect.com a few years ago. Without advertising, I received enough hits to place #2 on google. Probably wrote 20 MA plans over 2 years just by having the site built.

Then, UHC found out about it. The choice was to lose my contract and wind up in court, or give them the site. Apparently you can't register a trade name unless it's yours.

I don't know specifically about your site choice but I would only guess you're okay with it. I could have owned secureinsurance.com or something similar, but not the exact company name.

Rick

I registered the domain securehorizonsdirect.com a few years ago. Without advertising, I received enough hits to place #2 on google. Probably wrote 20 MA plans over 2 years just by having the site built.

Then, UHC found out about it. The choice was to lose my contract and wind up in court, or give them the site. Apparently you can't register a trade name unless it's yours.

I don't know specifically about your site choice but I would only guess you're okay with it. I could have owned secureinsurance.com or something similar, but not the exact company name.

Rick

I don't know. I guess what I'll do if I use that one is make a one pager about Forethought's products and use it to sell theirs exclusively. I've been a strong producer for them for many years so I don't think they will mind if I am generating them business. I'll be sipping Margarieta's with their execs in Riviera Maya in April so maybe I'll bring it up after they have a few drinks in them to test the waters.

I do a lot of direct mail advertising and want to start incorporating a web site along with that. I figure some people will go to a web site that won't mail in a reply card.

I was playing around on GoDaddy.com trying out different domains (most are taken or "premium" priced. But I bought a couple that interested me.

The one that shows the most promise is www.halfquote.com which I just bought for $9.95 a year. I could envision my mailing saying "about half the people are paying more than they need to for XYZ insurance. The other half are not. Which half are you in? Find out on www.halfquote.com

What do you think?

Now my big question...where can I go to get a good web site (or two) built? I don't mind paying the premium price if I know it's a good site that gets me leads if I drive the traffic to it.

Another domain I bought is just my name. Thought that would be good to own.

You should reg. halfquotes as well... quotes or plural of quote is more ideal...

I have several insurance related domain names for sale, including a ton of names that begin with "naa"...if anyone is interested.

Newby, you would be on very thin ice using Forethought without their express permission in writing because the name is a registered trademark. It's asking for trouble. Even if you changed it slightly, e.g.,
"fore-thoughtfuneral.com" or "for-thoughtfuneral.com", it would create confusion and would be illegal. You can, of course. check with Forethought's legal department. When I managed an exclusive Forethought General Agency, we had to use a name other than Forethought.:nah:

Back