Website cost etc.

I'm not an agent, so I don't have an agent website. However, I've created websites and have helped people create websites. I also have done a ton of research on this topic and even wrote an article about how to set up your own agent website (even if you're not tech savvy).

My suggestions if you don't know anything about code and want this to be as easy as possible:
-Wix: $7/mo
-Strikingly: $20/mo
-Squarespace: $18/mo

If you do know coding but still want something relatively user-friendly, I'd probably go with WordPress and a drag-and-drop builder like Divi. Broken down that's about $160/year.

If you want something totally awesome (which most agents just don't really need), I'd probably hire this out. That gets expensive, but you get a much better end result.

I am wandering a bit broader but some might find of interest.

I have been doing many personal and my business websites for decades, originally learning html from "HTML For Dummies." Then went to Frontpage which was great and sad to see it go since it was so easy to work with.

As others have well noted there are zillions of options today to build websites that are very low cost.

For hosting I have about 30 domains although only about 10 active for about $29/month with huge traffic limits and storage space. I am about to switch to a VPS at about same price or less.

You do need to find your way around Cpanel etc but probably some teenager could be hired who may know it :) This is just for hosting not creating content.

Other options like Wix are fairly easy to learn and combine hosting (but locked in) with design.

I am a bit of a nerd (coming from CPA background) and have five 27" monitors plus one for TV in front of me. I sit back about 5 feet relaxed in my chair reading. One problem (with at least one of the great sites listed here) is unlike most commercial sites - are static and not dynamic. I have to squint to read the text since I can not just zoom in using control and scroll on mouse like on most commercial sites. I have picture of my control center with me on my website.

I realize I am the opposite of most who use smartphone's. My clients meet in my office (in home) and I rarely use a smartphone other than when in car for mapping, traffic, catching up on information videos etc. So I like big screens and keyboards vs. little phones :) Of course sites should be dynamic to detect when seen on a mobile and scale down

A pet peeve of mine is websites that all have canned content as well as on social media. My philosophy is on my sites it should be mostly my writing showing what I know, not what I bought from some third party. I do a lot of original writing like about 15 White Papers plus current information in my writings tab.

I also have totally separate resources that are selected third party but its clear what is from my brain vs others. I also have a short banner on top mixing of about 5 videos since I thought they were the best of hundreds available.

Another peeve is some sites with huge pictures of smiling people, landscapes etc. Some sites have a meaningless picture taking like a third or more of the opening screen! I come to sites for information not to see pictures. If I want to see nice pictures I will go to a picture site - the nerd in me.

However there can be a good balances of relevant graphics with articles etc. BIll Wilson's site linked above seems good that way, although it doesn't scale, but I like the layout.

I am primarily on the RIA/securities side- also various insurance products (Indexed annuities, IUL etc).

I have about 30 domains some not active and a few for folks that spell my name wrong:) i.e. correct is www.HutchisonRIA.com (caps not needed) but half of folks want to spell it as hutchinson with the extra N so have that version also that redirects as well as HutchRIA.com etc. I capitalize the RIA although not needed trying to show its not part of my name but "Registered Investment Advisor"

I also just started on social media and use link shortners for example instead of long actual link I use www.dhutch.news/Sept2018Report which goes to the longer url on my website.

Dave the nard's usually long winded thoughts :)

Just wanted to see what others were doing.

Wix, Weebly, etc. are ok, but they are static websites.

Wordpress, or other CMS that allows you to add content yourself, is a better option. I don't like Wordpress; it can be buggy and slow. However, it's like you're almost forced to use it due to its simplicity.

Most people don't add content regularly, though, so a static website option might be better.

Or code it yourself if you know how.

Using content libraries from some of these website companies is a big no no. That's duplicate content and search engines will penalize sites for that. Also, content on your website should be yours, not from a third-party.

Late as well, but... insurancesplash needs mentioned since some are paying 35k and 15k... Please post it, I gotta see it. My insurancesplash page is geared toward P&C but I could easily have branded it for really any line of business. They host and maintain for about 50 bucks with no initial build. My other side I worked up on wordpress code. It just never occurred that web design people were charging THAT much.

Latest posts

Back