Website Feedback and Help With SEO

Hello all,

First time poster, been lurking for awhile and hopefully can become a contributor as I learn the industry.

I am just recently been getting into the insurance business and am currently studying for my P&C license. I've worked in the tech industry for awhile but have an opportunity to really turn my father and his partner's agency from their ancient ways of thinking/doing things.

One of the first things I am working on is just getting them a basic nice web presence.

I have done website design before and know basics of SEO, but seem to have a ton of trouble of getting any movement with our website for the keyword "johnstown insurance" or "johnstown pa insurance"

Our website is jtowninsurance.com

It seemed like when I finished the site around a year ago, and with the content we have on the page that we had a solid site that should rank well as it didnt seem like our competition was strong. That we could get to the 1st page within a reasonable amount of time as most of the sites that are ranking are directory listings (this area is pretty far behind the times, so not many good competitor websites, save for a few).

However, we are getting no movement and are pages behind for search terms like "johnstown pa insurance" or "johnstown insurance."

Even our individual pages (like "motorcycles insurance") do not seem to be ranking well for our area.

I understand the search term "insurance" is supposedly the most expensive Adwords keyword and has the toughest competition...But we are basically just looking to rank local.

The only pages that are ranking good are when we post a new blog post. For example, we recently compiled the local high school football conference schedule as their was no 1 place to go for the entire schedule. We ranked #1 for the search term "westpac football schedule" in a couple days. I know the competition is not there for that keyword, but I would think that our site's individual pages would at least be moving up in the rankings.

I dont use meta tags or descriptions anymore as Google supposedly does not use them.

A few issues I think might be the reason why we are not ranking well at all are:
1. Backlinks - I would like to find a legit way to build these up
2. Content - We were given permission to use the content on the individual pages (for example the content on our Auto Insurance page) by the Insurance Information Institute. However, this means that we have duplicate content with hundreds of other insurance companies across the US with the same content. I am thinking the solution to this would be to hire someone to rewrite our content.

Anyways, I just wanted to see what you guys might think is the problem with our website. I figure other people that know this stuff could be able to see stuff on our website that might make it not as optimized (page load times, keyword density, etc..).

Thank you for your time! :biggrin:

"I don't use meta tags or descriptions anymore"

Just a hunch, but that may not be such a good idea.

Also, I copied and pasted various snippets from your site and other websites were using the same content and ranked above you. Here's one:
This one

"I don't use meta tags or descriptions anymore"

Just a hunch, but that may not be such a good idea.

Also, I copied and pasted various snippets from your site and other websites were using the same content and ranked above you. Here's one:

Yeah, I wrote that in the post that we got permission from the Insurance Information Institute as I saw lots of other companies doing the same thing. However, it does not seem to be working as I believe we are getting docked for duplicate content (not sure why others using the same content are not).

You probably are getting docked. Just scrap it and write new content that is perhaps Johnstown-related. Try writing an article about the Sunnehanna Country Club and the annual tournament. Somehow make an insurance connection there.

Re SEO...I'll be happy to handle all of your SEO for $899 per month, plus fees, expenses and overrides. If you act before midnight, I'll waive the $10,000 setup fee.

Last edited:
To add more emphasis to a point, I would *always* use original content on a main site you want to be getting traffic. If it's just for looks and clients then canned content like that is great, but you shouldn't be using it on itself and believe you'll get traffic. You may want to read the google webmaster publisher guidelines to see what they have to say on the subject, but it all stems around a quality user experience.

Thanks gentlemen!

I figured using that content was not going to work well. I'll get on rewriting everything and seeing how it goes.

Nice idea on the Sunnehanna Country Club golf tournament. One of the agents frequents that golf course quite frequently.

Have you considered Citation building? This SEO technique really helps with ranking. Also see if there are possible NAP (Name, Address, Phone number) issues out there. This can Effect your ranking A LOT! The information in your Citations should be consistent.

Back