Website Question

Delta76

Guru
100+ Post Club
Here is what I'm looking to do:

Have one client log-in page that has a spot for the user to enter a user name and password. Once the information is typed in, direct the user to the appropriate webpage. Are there any free or inexpensive services that offer this? Does Zoho offer this?

Appreciate any help.

Here is what I'm looking to do:

Have one client log-in page that has a spot for the user to enter a user name and password. Once the information is typed in, direct the user to the appropriate webpage. Are there any free or inexpensive services that offer this? Does Zoho offer this?

Appreciate any help.

GoDaddy.com offers Password protected pages... you could virtually build a public part of your site and make other pages password protected. Website hosting and builder is very affordable and I have recommended these guys since I have been on the forum. I have used them with very good results.

I've seen a banner on top of this forum on occasion, clicking it probably helps Sam offset some of the costs to keep this forum alive.

Hope this is what you were looking for...

Thanks for the hep guys! I use godaddy's "website tonight" platform for my current home page, but when I called, they told me they only allow one user name and password per account. From what I understand, there are three options:

1. Use a java script and have the actual page password protected. However, that doesn't allow one log-in screen for all accounts.

2. Have a log-in screen from all accounts and still have the actual address undisclosed, the only fear is that it could potentially be picked up by search engines (probably unlikely, but I have no idea).

3. Have it be server based, maybe that's what go-daddy provides.

If anyone has more insight, I'm all ears. If it's not obvious, I have no idea what I'm doing.

You need CMS (content management software) which comes in various free flavors.

As was said, JOOMLA is an excellent choice.

I would prefer XOOPS (Powered by You! : XOOPS Project)

Or better yet, for simplicity, ImpressCMS (The ImpressCMS Project : Make a Lasting Impression : Make a Lasting Impression)

All of these, and everything else for that matter, will have a learning curve. Once you catch on, anything you may want to do is possible. CMS use modules, so you can plug and play any module you want. Forums, blogs, chats, seminar scheduling, etc.

All use password and user logons as part of the core system. Some, like ImpressCMS, include a captcha system to defeat spam robots that try to sign in and spam your site.

Here is a sample of an ImpressCMS site that I am just starting on. It has two levels of passwords: Preferred Producers - Referrals for top producers

Again, that site is at the very beginning stages of being set up and is not public.

All of these CMS platforms are open source (free) that you can use and modify all you want without any fees.

Personally, I don't think Godaddy has the horsepower for what you want to do, but that is another choice you may want to make.

Thanks for all the help and thoughtful posts. I took a look at ImpressCMS and JOOMLA and realized how little I know about creating a website. My current site is basically a "plug and play" creation. I did find something to meet my needs though by digging into a google search.

Back