Website Signup Question

Dglossoplend

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
We are building a website and will be offering our service for free for 6 months. My question is we want to verify each person to make sure they will not be making multiple accounts on the website. So we would like to verify a credit card. Is this something that would prevent agents from signing up? Or does that help with them knowing we are preventing the bad agents that want to try and take advantage of the free service?

Of course a payment method would be needed once the free membership expires if you wish to continue.

If you dont like putting in a credit card to verify what about a required background check? Feedback would be helpful from everyone. thx

There is no fool-proof way to ensure people won't sign up multiple times.

Using a credit card and saying they won't be billed unless they join is going to raise more issues than you probably want to address. True you will get people who are SINCERELY INTERESTED in your offer, but you will frighten away more people than you get.

Is your service web-based? If so, the best way to show it off is to put up a demo system that is crippled in some way.

For our JAYA123 system we have a full demo... not crippled at all but we hose the database every so often. Yes, we get some people who use it for one-off invoices or reports, but that's life in the big city.

Using credit/debit cards, DL numbers, or SSNs is simply going to cause you more grief than it is worth.

One thing you might try is a verifiable business name, web site, AND a phone number... and verify by making the call.

Al
I am here.

If it's for agents, you might want to do something as simple as verify their license (many lead vendors do that anyway) and then just log it that way.

I don't think you're going to run into much of an issue with it anyway, but that's a simple idea that's sort of industry norm.

If it's for agents, you might want to do something as simple as verify their license (many lead vendors do that anyway) and then just log it that way.

I don't think you're going to run into much of an issue with it anyway, but that's a simple idea that's sort of industry norm.

I know it is common practice to get c.c for memberships even with free trial etc. I also want to make sure I get as many quality agents signed up as possible. So don't want any hesitation in the process. People see free then ask for a credit card how do they react?

I know it is common practice to get c.c for memberships even with free trial etc. I also want to make sure I get as many quality agents signed up as possible. So don't want any hesitation in the process. People see free then ask for a credit card how do they react?

I think you're missing my point. I'm not saying to grab a CC, I'm saying to get their insurance license number. Each agent will only have one for their home state and most will be able to be verified online in a matter of a minute or two.

If you don't do this you also run the risk of affiliates signing up and then taking the leads and feeding them through their distribution channels.

I think you're missing my point. I'm not saying to grab a CC, I'm saying to get their insurance license number. Each agent will only have one for their home state and most will be able to be verified online in a matter of a minute or two.

If you don't do this you also run the risk of affiliates signing up and then taking the leads and feeding them through their distribution channels.

I did understand what you are suggesting which I agree. This will only work with Insurance agents though I also have other Industries so I am trying to come up with a one all solution.
We have a background check option also but, we are leaving it optional. I definitely don't want affiliates and re-sellers on the site we will do all we can to prevent them. I appreciate the great info and feedback. Something we will easily think about.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

P.S we have other steps in the signup process that will prevent affiliates from obtaining prospects. Not to mention we are completely different with our model. You don't get access to clients info. They clients reach out to you for help.

Last edited:
Even with a credit card ur not gonna stop people from making multiple accounts. I have multiple credit/debit cards and I'm on my 4th month of free trials at seomoz. Any free trial over the internet can and will be exploited. This is the age of the internet i can be anyone or anywhere as many times as I want. let me know when you launch though I'm definitely interested in trying your service.... whatever it is

Last edited by a moderator:
no doubt raph, when market samurai worked i would wipe the install clean using revo uninstaller and get another 40 day trial.

------make sure to have an option for paypal subscriptions.

Even with a credit card ur not gonna stop people from making multiple accounts. I have multiple credit/debit cards and I'm on my 4th month of free trials at seomoz. Any free trial over the internet can and will be exploited. This is the age of the internet i can be anyone or anywhere as many times as I want. let me know when you launch though I'm definitely interested in trying your service.... whatever it is

And each card has a different name and billing address? We will have triggers in place but, yes I am sure there are people crazy enough to try and take advantage somehow. We have certain things on the site which will eventually weed those people out.

Thanks for the feedback and everyone will know when we do our soft launch to sign up.

And each card has a different name and billing address? We will have triggers in place but, yes I am sure there are people crazy enough to try and take advantage somehow. We have certain things on the site which will eventually weed those people out.

Thanks for the feedback and everyone will know when we do our soft launch to sign up.

Honestly the only thing crazy is how easy it is to exploit free trials. You can create multiple identities easily and ur doing 6 month trials so all I need is 2 a year and I'm all set.

Back