Websites, online advertising, and DBAs

beachbum2012

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
If you're licensed as an individual (not an agency) and want to run online ads (Facebook, YouTube, Adwords, etc.) in various states that you're licensed in, is it necessary to file a DBA in these states if you use a name other than your "bona fide" name? The reason that these ads will be run from a brand name other than your own is because social media accounts and websites are often tied together with the same niche name, not a personal name.

I've been asking some other smart leaders in the insurance industry and am getting responses on opposite ends of the spectrum. Some have said that this requires licensing as an individual and an agency in every state the ads are run. Others have said that it doesn't matter, or have mentioned that they have multiple websites with associated Facebook and YouTube pages and run ads from these pages without filing a DBA.

The problem with filing a DBA is that many states don't seem to allow it without getting licensed as an agency too. And from what I've found some states won't even allow you to license as an agency as a sole proprietor.

Does anyone with experience care to shed some light on the issue?

If you're licensed as an individual (not an agency) and want to run online ads (Facebook, YouTube, Adwords, etc.) in various states that you're licensed in, is it necessary to file a DBA in these states if you use a name other than your "bona fide" name? The reason that these ads will be run from a brand name other than your own is because social media accounts and websites are often tied together with the same niche name, not a personal name.

I've been asking some other smart leaders in the insurance industry and am getting responses on opposite ends of the spectrum. Some have said that this requires licensing as an individual and an agency in every state the ads are run. Others have said that it doesn't matter, or have mentioned that they have multiple websites with associated Facebook and YouTube pages and run ads from these pages without filing a DBA.

The problem with filing a DBA is that many states don't seem to allow it without getting licensed as an agency too. And from what I've found some states won't even allow you to license as an agency as a sole proprietor.

Does anyone with experience care to shed some light on the issue?

Have you already sold everyone in California?

A lot of that is state by state. They don’t all play by the same rules. I would just add one state at a time and get the info from the state’s Department of Insurance. Your Upline should be a great resource of info too as they have been through it.

Are you generating leads or attempting to make sales?

I think that's the distinction you will need to ascertain before you can determine the right path.

Back