Well Just Got My First Threat....

Jun 26, 2019

1. theleadingagent

theleadingagent Expert

State:
    Tennessee
    So I call a prospect from my list of D leads.

Remind them its for mortgage protection, THEY filled out the card, agreed to text the handwritten card they mailed into us, etc.

They agreed to meet on Friday and said it was okay to text

Then a few minutes later I get a call from a random number. I don't answer. Then they text me saying "oh you're a scammer, you don't really 'sale' insurance, and we are going to report you to the police"

Right at the same time my text goes through with their handwritten mortgage protection card they mailed in.

I assume the random number/text threat was them since I just got off the phone with them.

I just blocked them and put them on my do not call list. But are people always this batshit crazy? The police can't do anything since I have that handwritten card from them right?

2. cehinton

cehinton Expert

State:
    South Carolina
    This is not at all a police matter. Sure, many depts have an "online crimes" division to investigate scams, but in this case this is simply two parties miscommunicating with each other and is nothing more than a civil dispute, not at all criminal.

You have nothing to worry about. Especially since you've obtained permission to contact, and they even agreed to meet, which is a far cry from "never contact me again!"

cehinton, Jun 26, 2019
  3. DI Guy

DI Guy Expert

State:
    California
    I'm not a lawyer or in TN, but since you have the card where they asked you to contact them, you're fine. The police have many other things to do.
    I would probably not contact them again, though!

DI Guy, Jun 26, 2019
  4. DHK

DHK "YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!"

State:
    California
    lol. Show them your license. You sell insurance. Problem solved.

DHK, Jun 26, 2019
  5. theleadingagent

theleadingagent Expert

State:
    Tennessee
    I would have, if they would have used their adult words to ask me if I had a license instead of sending some weird text from a burner phone.

6. theleadingagent

theleadingagent Expert

State:
    Tennessee
    Definitely not! I have zero interest in spending my energy and time with people like that.

Put them into the Dead Leads file with a do not contact and a note including details of their text.

7. Life Hawk

Life Hawk Guru

State:
    Illinois
    Not at all, I would door-knock that one in a heartbeat.

8. Life Hawk

Life Hawk Guru

State:
    Illinois
    And if you don't, I'm going to call the Department of Insurance on you.:laugh:

9. DHK

DHK "YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!"

State:
    California
    And they over-reacted because they get all kinds of other phone calls and are looking for a reason to TRUST you.

It's probably too late now... but you could've given them that reason, reassurance, and empathy knowing that there ARE a bunch of scammers out there.

DHK, Jun 26, 2019
  10. Life Hawk

Life Hawk Guru

State:
    Illinois
    Often one of the greatest sales tactics is to be an empathetic listener.