Western and Southern

Bozack23

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I had an interview with western and southern and was told how their pay plan was set up to be more consistent. I was told all commissions go in to a commission pool and I would draw out 13% weekly. I thought that sounded ok and then the manager gave me a copy of the contract to look at and it says the agent will be paid 1/13th out of pool weekly. Thats alot less than 13%! Am I reading this wrong? Does anybody work for Western and Southern who can help clarify this for me? I had almost decide to go with them instead of American General but now I am second guessing myself.:skeptical:

I had an interview with western and southern and was told how their pay plan was set up to be more consistent. I was told all commissions go in to a commission pool and I would draw out 13% weekly. I thought that sounded ok and then the manager gave me a copy of the contract to look at and it says the agent will be paid 1/13th out of pool weekly. Thats alot less than 13%! Am I reading this wrong? Does anybody work for Western and Southern who can help clarify this for me? I had almost decide to go with them instead of American General but now I am second guessing myself.:skeptical:

You are right that 1/13 (7.69%) is quite a bit less than 13%. I have no experience with Western-Southern however, my money would be on what is written not what I was told. A written contract is a written contract! You should know by now that sales people can say all kinds of things! :yes:

Your right xrac! Sales people will say anything! Coming from auto sales I know that all to well. I was hoping I wouldn't see as much of that kind of stuff in this business. :no:

There have been many posts in the past about WS on here, search the archives. I doubt any posts are about the pool. Seems like a good company to me. I looked into it-They have an office like 200 miles from here and are reluctant to hire me being so far away, but what what the heck.

W&S defintely wants to treat their agents like employees. Daily supervision, set vacations, you know, the one week in the first year, goes up to two after two years of service kinda deal. They have a nice portfolio of companies they own, and of companies they let their very captive agents put business through.

For the diehard independent spirit, they are definitely not the place to hang one's hat but for a newby, there is a good potential for learning good selling habits. I would say it's a good place to start a career but not necessarily a good place to stay, or a good place for an experienced independent producer to move to.

If one starts with them and sticks it out a few years I think you will know how to sell.

Last edited:
:DOik let's see if I can make this real easy on you. I started out with AIG when I first started in the insurance industry and then went to Western & Southern. Really when it boils down to it the two companies don't even compare to each other.
AIG - you start out with a set salary for 13 weeks and if you cant at least match your pay in commisions then you will drop down to $250 a week until week 19 then you loose it all and they tell you to hit the road. No book of business unless you are a service agent. Takes forever to get the business in the pipeline. Write for AIG ONLY no one else. You will pay for your training and even your hotel room when you go to corporate training. Will pay $60 for a kit that contains dvd's and video's full of junk. Must show up every morning for their rah rah meetings.

Western & Southern - start out with a salary around $425 week for a year. You have a book of business totaling normally around $300,000. You will do service work for existing customers and always have a place to go based upon their university level training system. They will also pay for your clu classes and training. You can do life and health. You also have term with a return of premium rider. Commision is 13% of your pool plus extra factors that you have to really understand. You get a laptop and one of the best online university training programs that not only teach you to sell but also how to market. Your existing book of business is constantly being marketed to with material that shows you as their agent. You just have to cold call in the evening 2 nights a week.

Hope that helps. If you need more then let me know.

OK you said I will be paid 13% out of the commission pool and that's what The District Manager told me. But the copy of the contract says 1/13th out of the pool? That's two totally different amounts and that is what has me confused. Everything else you said is exactly what the DM told me so I don't think I'm being lied to at all. Sounds like a great opportunity for a new agent and I will most likely take the position but I need to ask about the commission pool pay.

OK you said I will be paid 13% out of the commission pool and that's what The District Manager told me. But the copy of the contract says 1/13th out of the pool? That's two totally different amounts and that is what has me confused. Everything else you said is exactly what the DM told me so I don't think I'm being lied to at all. Sounds like a great opportunity for a new agent and I will most likely take the position but I need to ask about the commission pool pay.

You dont receive 13% you receive 1/13th. Also dont let that salary fool you, you get that nickle and dimed away with office fees and lap top fees. You are totally captive to them and cannot contact clients for 2 years after you leave their outfit. Many people also leave right after the guaranteed salary has expired. So that book of business that they "give" you has be worked and worked, and many times clients will get frustrated because they get a new agent every 6 months.

But just like with any captive outfit, its based on whomever is running your office. That person has already lied about how you get paid.

W&S = Low Commissions, No advances, Captive, and Fees.... if it were me I'd stay away, but the training is good.

Just to be clear, I have never worked for them, but know many people who once worked there. There are some people that make a good living there.

Their commision structure is one of the hardest to understand if you have not been in the insurance business. After you learn how the commision structure is you will be glad you went with them. My book of business hadn't seen anybody in about 3 years because of the guarantee that they give agents runs out and the agents don't want to work or don't want to sell. Selling is hard! Don't let anybody tell you different. Not everybody can sell. So if you do decide to take the plunge then go into the local office and ask they agents how long they have been with the company and if they are making any money without the dm or sm being present. Hope it helps and good luck.

OK went to my 2nd pre contract training class with Western and Southern today. They talk alot about my personal market.(Project 100) Seems like thats where most of my prospects will come from.They talked about vendor leads which I would have to pay for and event marketing.(kool-aid stand). the problem I have is I'm not from the area I live in, so most of the people I know here are neighbors and people I sold cars to. I don't consider that to be warm leads or not as warm as lifelong friends anyway. I also interviewed with American General and was told there are company leads that would be given to me. does this sound right? Any help would be a big help. I'm struggling with which company offers the best opportunity.:goofy:

Back