Western Southern Anyone?

It may be true that in the past they tried to write low face amount stuff, but now they are trying to be "higher end" and higher class and write bigger face amounts and be a NYL type deal and sell annuities as well and term. From what I could tell.

It may be true that in the past they tried to write low face amount stuff, but now they are trying to be "higher end" and higher class and write bigger face amounts and be a NYL type deal and sell annuities as well and term. From what I could tell.

I think Western Southern is middle market.

Last edited:
I think Western Southern middle market.

Well, yeah, but trying to prospect like they are higher end, trying to be all about phone appointments and referrals and such, they told me that door knocking would never work with their products. Keep in mind the middle class in this country is shrinking. We have rich and poor right now. I choose to door knock. They did not care for that.

I was a sales rep with W&S, then promoted to sales manager and then demoted myself back to sales rep to then resigned from the company. I worked for them for about 5 years..At 1st the company was great with positive attitude, agents and structure. Commissions were great...Until about 2 years ago the structure change for the worse. At HQ in Cinncinati they envy the agents in each of the satellite offices across the US due to that the agents would work anywere from 15-25 hrs a week and make what a HQ employee would make working 60+ hrs a week. They revamp the structure with something called "Quantum Leap". This so called program was created for the sole purpose of having you as the agent in the office everyday attending all kinds of non produtive meetings to make up the hourly difference in a given week. The agent workforce resigned like a mass exodus in biblical times. My office went from having about 35-45 agents to having about 4-8. You can ask each agent there on why they still work for W&S, and they say that the they have no choice due to losing their employee benefits. Its depressing how the culture became of this once great company. They micro manage you now to the point that you feel like an hourly employee without the hourly pay. Great products though but wrong structure and worse that you are captive. The situation has gotten so bad, that Brian Dunn, the president of WS agency got pretty much demoted to run a smaller WSFG company. They called it a promotion but we all know it was a demotion. Anyhow I could go on and on...Not worth the headache in becoming an agent here unless you are here to collect a check since they do provide a subsidy for the 1st 17 weeks then you are on straight commission. Also if you enjoy being in the office and attend bogus meetings to make it seem like you are being produtive. The company cares only if you follow the process instead of what makes the money and that is selling.

Well, yeah, but trying to prospect like they are higher end, trying to be all about phone appointments and referrals and such, they told me that door knocking would never work with their products. Keep in mind the middle class in this country is shrinking. We have rich and poor right now. I choose to door knock. They did not care for that.

I know that’s what they try to do but as long as you turn inbusiness your paycheck isn’t effected no matter what market or product it comesfrom.

I was a sales rep with W&S, then promoted to sales manager and then demoted myself back to sales rep to then resigned from the company. I worked for them for about 5 years..At 1st the company was great with positive attitude, agents and structure. Commissions were great...Until about 2 years ago the structure change for the worse. At HQ in Cinncinati they envy the agents in each of the satellite offices across the US due to that the agents would work anywere from 15-25 hrs a week and make what a HQ employee would make working 60+ hrs a week. They revamp the structure with something called "Quantum Leap". This so called program was created for the sole purpose of having you as the agent in the office everyday attending all kinds of non produtive meetings to make up the hourly difference in a given week. The agent workforce resigned like a mass exodus in biblical times. My office went from having about 35-45 agents to having about 4-8. You can ask each agent there on why they still work for W&S, and they say that the they have no choice due to losing their employee benefits. Its depressing how the culture became of this once great company. They micro manage you now to the point that you feel like an hourly employee without the hourly pay. Great products though but wrong structure and worse that you are captive. The situation has gotten so bad, that Brian Dunn, the president of WS agency got pretty much demoted to run a smaller WSFG company. They called it a promotion but we all know it was a demotion. Anyhow I could go on and on...Not worth the headache in becoming an agent here unless you are here to collect a check since they do provide a subsidy for the 1st 17 weeks then you are on straight commission. Also if you enjoy being in the office and attend bogus meetings to make it seem like you are being produtive. The company cares only if you follow the process instead of what makes the money and that is selling.

This, so much this. I could not have said it better.

My next door neighbor has worked for Western Southern for several years. He just recently mentioned the Quantum Leap introduction and said it was the worst thing the company has done since he has been there. Luckily he has enough time there to retire. He was an old Pru guy before W&S so I assume he knows the difference between productive and non-productive issues in a captive agency. I always had respect for W&S based on guys I knew from way back who worked for them. I guess everything changes.

They are following the same path as AGLA, trying to serve the great "under served middle market"..However, AGLA still has a debit mentality while trying to operate on an ordinary basis. :no:

Can you elaborate on that a little more?

Can you elaborate on that a little more?

I don't wish to put words in his mouth, but here's my 2 cents: I know exactly what he's saying. I worked for both AGLA and W&S. They are similar. They both have "old school" roots in the debit. They both tried to step it up a little and market to a little higher income clientelle, like, as in, middle income. {stop taking cash, move to bank draft} But, they still have the old school roots, and the old way of thinking. Once the debit gets in you, it's hard to get it out. Trust me. I'm debit all the way. Will never change.

Back