Western Southern Life

OHDiversity

Good afternoon everyone,

I have a question about Western Southern; they contacted me recently because of a resume I have on Career Builder. I am actually thinking about making a career change from Finance/Accounting/IT to another field, and insurance does sound like a good idea. My question is, while Western Southern does sound like a great opportunity, how are they for someone completley new in the Insurance field? I don't have any of my licensing yet (Ohio) and have already thought about taking the classes and exam to get licensed before they contacted me.

If I get offered a possition with them (I took the online profile and got a 100%), then will they actually pay for the classes and licensing exam, or will I still have to pay out of pocket? Also, is there any compensation suring thier training program? From what I have read online, it seems like it, but I am not sure.

If anyone has some advice for someone totally new to the Insurance Industry (Besides being the Administrator for all the insurance Policies for different corps) in Columbus, OH; I would definately appriciate it.

Thanks.

They might, in fact, be a decent stepping stone for bigger and better things. Do you have an interest in the financial planning aspect of the industry?

Actually the Financial Planning side does interest me a lot. But I know I don't want to do Financial Planning or someplace like Primerica or anyplace like them.

There are two or three companies that might be worth looking at. Technically, I work out of the Columbus (Oh) office, although we are physically located in the Dayton area.

If you would like some ideas, feel free to send me an email or PM. I have been here 27 years, so I might be a bit biased. But I'll give you the names of two additional companies in the area that might be worth looking at.

If you have interest in financial planning, you may eventually want to look at the new england or new york life, but you could use western southern as a stepping stone to learn the life ins biz. All indications are that WS is good training, good company, for newbies. It might not be a bad deal to get your feet wet this way, then move on later, if need be. WS probably would like to see you stay for a long career, though. Look at the other thread on WS and talk to some of those agents about it, or your local agents.

Being totally new the the industry, I am definately looking or someone that will help support new agents. That is one of my key items. I don't mind paying for the licensing classes or exams if I need to, but want to make sure that if I make that move that it willbe worth it.

I really don't mind getting started with a company, and it being a stepping stone to something better, but if I am happy with where I end up, and make decent money, then why look anywhere else?

Good afternoon everyone,

I have a question about Western Southern; they contacted me recently because of a resume I have on Career Builder. I am actually thinking about making a career change from Finance/Accounting/IT to another field, and insurance does sound like a good idea. My question is, while Western Southern does sound like a great opportunity, how are they for someone completley new in the Insurance field? I don't have any of my licensing yet (Ohio) and have already thought about taking the classes and exam to get licensed before they contacted me.

Do you have any sales experience? I'm only asking because I also came from a Finance/Accounting background (in Columbus, OH) and my biggest challenge has been learning the art of sales and talking to people without using accounting speak. Don't feel obligated to respond, just offering something to think about.

Back