Western Southern Life ?

Gentlemen,

I have in interview with Western Southern Life today, and I would love any input, good or bad, that you may be able to give.

Do any of you have any dealings or issues with them personally, and what do you think of their products?

Thanks,

James

Re: Western Southern Life???

Mine's bad:

I was independent, and then was convinced by one of their Managers that I could remain so, and still be able to sell their products. At the time I had an Illinois Mutual contract that I sold DI from.

Well, needless to say, much of what they promised did not come to fruition, and I left. They kept my IM contract, and would not release.

I had to get it from IM to release me. That took 9 months, but it still worked out.

If you want a free laptop to work from, and enough low-income leads than you can handle, go for it. Otherwise, stay clear.

Disclaimer: I was only there for 6 months, before I saw the writing on the wall. Alot of going to current clients homes to have them sign the beneficiary change line.

Big whoop. Didn't turn into any sales. Just signed, led me out the door, and told me how poor they were.

They are ok if your brand new. WS is good for training and guarantee income while you learn the business.

JUST AN UPDATE ON THIS POST AT ABOUT YEAR #1

I went to work in the Greeneville TN office of W&S last Dec. and left in May of this year. HERE ARE THE PROS AND CONS!

Pros:
1. Salary is legit, and the new pay structure is good. I sold about 6000 a month avg while I was there, and near the end I was drawing about $2000 every two weeks in pay. Can't complain about the pay AT ALL. Commissions were great, and were exactly as promised.

2. Benefits start at day one, its hard to find health insurance that starts at day one, BUT it was a constant haslle to get them to pay a claim. YOU have to run and run and run to get this or that signed by doctors, or get this faxed or that, etc... WAY TOO MUCH HASSLE.. and still have some claims that they never paid.

3. Training. You spend alot of time with your sales manager in the field. He went with me on my first 20 appointments! Very easy to make money when you have a pro tagging along to show you how it works.

CONS.

1 YOU ARE AN EMPLOYEE. Don't buy the "own your own business" bull. They expect you to be there 9-5 monday-friday (and Sat if you haven't made goals) and there are no excuses. You get DOCKED a days pay from YOUR DRAW if you miss a day! even though it is a commission job, you will get docked.

2. CONSTANT NAGGING ABOUT NUMBERS! Get ready to get beat to death about numbers. How many dials, how many answers, how many appointments scheduled, how many kept, etc. THIS HAPPENS EVERY MORNING! THIS WAS MY REASON FOR LEAVING. I couldn't stand being watched like a four year old. If I produced 5k for the week and want to go play golf on friday, I shouldn't have to answer for that, ESPECIALLY when I was told that I MAKE MY OWN SCHEDULE...LOL... SURE

3. BOOK OF BUSINESS. YES, they do give you a book of business, my was the largest in the office, but it is useless. here's why... They turn over agents so much that the book has been called a million times for referrals and reviews. I actually had people CANCEL policies because I called them! They said I was the fifth agent in two years to call them for a "review" and try to sale them more insurance. I didn't even have time to B.S. them that it was ONLY a "review" they knew the gig from all the other agents. I NEVER sold a single policy to my book, AND IT WAS THE LARGEST IN THE OFFICE. You will spend at least 25% of your time running to collect late payments, before a policy lapses. However, you do get a paycheck from the entire book called a conservation fund. it usually amounted to about $150 a week going into my draw bank...

W&S is not a bad place to work if you need someone to stay on your a$$ constantly about your job. If you cant be self motivated, then this place is for you. YOU WILL SALE INSURANCE HERE, you have no choice with all the cold calling, and number reporting. They do "MAKE" you succeed, but I grew to recent the morning meetings more and more until I couldn't take it any more and walked.

All in all, it was a great experience, and I learned alot there. I would never have left if the reigns were not pulled so tight. I was producing TOP NUMBERS for the WHOLE COMPANY and still had no say in how my time was spent. I got into the insurance business to "be my own boss" etc.. and I would never have that there.

This is my report, and I hope it helps you to decide. It not as bad as I make it sound, and if you can handle a boss, then this is a great place to work. Just be prepared!

GOOD LUCK!

Last edited:

Great post!! So what did the numbers look like that they were requiring?

This was a great post. Did they make you do a top 100 and try to sell to your family and friends first or did they supply you with good leads?

Back