What Are My Health Insurance Options?

matuna1

What are my health insurance options?

About me:
I am a 35 year old, 6'00" tall, single black male with no dependents who lives on Florida. Non drinker, drug user, and smoker. I used to weight 291lbs with high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Tested negative for diabetes but; both parents have it.

I have a pre-existing eye condition (headaches, blurred vision, dry eye) witch has forced me to examine my own mortality after not having health insurance for many years.

Spoke to an in state insurance broker, at the beginning of the year, who said I would be uninsurable because of me being overweight and having high blood pressure.

I have since lost about 40lbs and weight about 251lbs. My blood pressure has come down (checked at Walmart) significantly and is almost normal. I don't know about my cholesterol levels but assume it as improved also as I lost weight.

I want to get health insurance ASAP. These are my priorities in descending importance: 1) coverage for pre-existing conditions (eye problems) ,
2) quality coverage from well known name brand health insurer,
3) available to me something I could qualify per the insurers underwriting guidelines,
4) price: lower premiums, prefer high deductible $5000-$10000,
5) choice be able to see the doctor of my choosing.

I came across the following two post:

a) www (dot) insurance-forums (dot) net (/) forum (/) need-individual-insurance-but-thread16285 (dot) html#post205516

b) www (dot) insurance-forums (dot) net (/) forum (/) uninsurable-florida-thread3605 (dot) html#post45551

Both post the reference group of 1 guaranteed issue for new business and or self employed.

I have been a wannabee entrepreneur for many years and continually dabble in starting an online marketing business.

What would be the process of getting guaranteed issue health insurance for a group of one?

I assume it is along the lines of:

1) research Florida insurance rules to see if it is possible in Florida
2) decide how my business is to be organized (c-corp, s-corp, LLC etc) and register with the state.
3) Get id number from IRS
4) get separate business address, phone number, bank account
5) actively engage in business
7) Document everything
6) apply for group health insurance

Are there any time period were things must done that I should be aware of like: and open enrollment period.

Does not having health insurance now affect this plan? I thought I read some where that even with group health insurance, the insurer could deny you health insurance for pre-existing conditions, for 6-18 months, if you were not insured for at least 60days with a qualifying health insurance plan prior to enrolling into group health insurance.

Any help is appreciated.

FL Group of 1 is only available during the Open Enrollment period during the month of August for an October effective date.

My advise is to get a Short Term Medical policy in effect asap.

Then see who will be you're best option for a traditional major medical plan.

Assurant Health and Anthem STM, maybe even MMO will take hypertension on STM
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Assurant Health is underwritten by Time Insurance Co. and is in FL.

Last edited:
"Assurant Health and Anthem STM, maybe even MMO"

The above are my best options for STM? BTW, what is MMO?

Is my basic plan of getting insurance through my business sound?

Latest posts

Back