What Are My Options to Become Independent?

dstrack

Expert
Been lurking here for a while love the forum.

OK,

So I have been in mortgage broker for nearly 8 years and was very successful until recently. Now I am very interested in jumping in to the insurance world. Here is my problem. I have been self-employed for a while and I really want to open my own independent agency. I realize I have zero experience in the insurance biz and this would be suicide.

I also have terrible credit at the moment and a misdemeanor on my record from 8 years ago when I was in college. It looks like I will never get hired on by a SF, Farmers type company from what I have seen.

I do have about $130k sitting in my bank right now so I am not looking for a salary or commission advance from any one.

What are my options to learn the biz and keep as much of my commission for myself as well as become independent broker in a few years?

I am looking to get my P&C as well as my health and life license.

I do know someone who has a farmers office and I was thinking about asking him if I can work under him and learn the biz but then I'll have to start all over when I leave to go independent.

Thanks in advance for your time and response

is there any training help with siaa or similar company?

After reading tons of posts it seems the best way is to go work for someone independent and set up a deal where i can buy my book or take it with me when I have the experience to go on my own.

Is this something the average independent will be interested in me walking off the street and proposing?

I know in the mortgage broker world they would be since everything is commission only so the owner has nothing to loose and everything to gain. Is insurance the same way?

Thanks

dstrack,

What state are you in?
Depending on where you are located www.FastTrackAgents.com can help. Check out the site. We started this program for agents that want to go independent but needs the training and support that a captive company would provide.

dstrack,

What state are you in?
Depending on where you are located www.FastTrackAgents.com can help. Check out the site. We started this program for agents that want to go independent but needs the training and support that a captive company would provide.

fasttrackagents is your website right?

Insurance General Agent

On your page to get appointed it is also on there. So why not say check out my website? Why talk in 3rd hand?

Markingriffin,

I thought I made it pretty obvious that it was my site when I said we started the program to help agents. However if anyone else was confused by that I apologize.

Accidental double post there. My post didn't show up for a day.

I am in Illinois.

thesaleswolf,

How does your company work as far as if i wanted to leave and go direct some day and be totally independent? I noticed your commission seems a bit lower than I could get if I was independent. Obviously you are helping me with training and such so that is all well and good but am I able to keep my clients and not keep you in the future?

Thanks

You would be independent.
Not sure where you will find commissions higher than that. Those are street level or higher.

Back