What Are the Best Short Term Major Med Providers?

Besides Assurant who else does Short term 6/12 month Major med policies?

In Tennessee BCBST and Golden Rule's short term policies are tons better than the Assurant policies. BCBST has a 250/1250 80% STM that can be taken out for up to 12 months, and its 200 bucks on a 64 year old. Assurant doesn't even make a short term medical with a deductible that low here. Check Anthem or BlueCross of wherever you are. My typical use of STM is to get someone from age 64 to 65 if they don't have pre-existings, it saves a fortune over major medical and sets them up to stick with me for the Med Supp sale. They already know I'm gonna be calling, I have to renew the STM every 3 months with BCBST, so the last contract for the STM I can get their med supp enrollment ready.

renew the STM every 3 months with BCBST

Maybe their plan is different, but I have yet to see an STM that is renewable.

I don't sell much STM, but lately have been using Humana. Got a fair amount with HPA. Mostly type II diabetics and folks that have been turned down for insurance with other carriers.

Maybe their plan is different, but I have yet to see an STM that is renewable.

I don't sell much STM, but lately have been using Humana. Got a fair amount with HPA. Mostly type II diabetics and folks that have been turned down for insurance with other carriers.

BCBST's is different than the enrollment process for both Golden Rule and Assurant, with theirs you can take out a maximum of 4 consecutive contracts, and contract length is 1-3 months. If you take out 1 month contracts you can have 4 months of coverage, if you take out 3 month contracts, you can have a year. I haven't seen another STM that functions like theirs does. They are the only one I have seen also that allows a 250 deductible for the entire year, or is 200 dollars a month on a 64 year old with a 250 dollar deductible. I literally only use it to get people from 64-65 till they get medicare because its typically a 800 dollar a month price drop from the cost of any comparable major med.

Does each new "renewal" start the deductible and pre-x all over again?

No, counts as one contract up to 12 months. It's odd compared to the UHC product that is the 2nd best priced in my area, they require you to put in the number of months ect up front and do 1 contract.

That is weird. Here in TX the BCBSTX only allows 2 consecutive terms back to back and then you must have a 6 month wait period to join back with them. I don't know that I have every researched it, but I assumed thats a TX DOI thing.

What sucks is you could do a 1 month and then a 3 month back to back and that's still considered your 2 policies and you start the wait period or move to someone else.

Humana has a new STM product that is AWESOME! They are one of the few that will take HBP and mental health patients, and male weight limit is 300. By far the most lenient STM that i've seen down here.

Yeah the BCBST one is the same format but they allow 4 consecutive policies then the 6 month wait.

I have just started to use the H1 STM. Wrote more STM in the last month or so since it came out than in the previous 6 months.

It is one of the few that do not ask if you have been previously declined for coverage and a "yes" answer is not an automatic DQ.

I am not a fan of STM but sometimes that is your only option short of a mini-med.

Back