What Can I Do?

chancesilvers

I got a speeding ticket in 2011, and I recently paid the ticket and BMV reinstatement fee to get my license back. A few days after I got my license back I received a notice from the BMV stating I have 30 days to provide proof of insurance for the date of speeding ticket.
I was driving my girlfriend at the time car. I have no idea how to get in touch with her nor do I remember who she had insurance with. Is there any way I can get proof of insurance for that time?...

A few days after I got my license back I received a notice from the BMV stating I have 30 days to provide proof of insurance for the date of speeding ticket.

What does the notice say after that?

"failure to provide proof of insurance within 30 days will result in ......." what?

If I were you, I would give up on finding proof from that long ago. Give up and move on ....

What does it say the penalties are? It may be buried in the fine print, but the answer to that should be on that notice somewhere.

Otherwise, it's hard to advise you because Indiana has tweaked their auto insurance laws recently, and your case may or may not be retroactive to the old laws....

If they suspend your license again, getting it back may be as simple as filing an SR50 (best case scenario) or an SR22 (next best case scenario).

Probably the most common way to show proof of insurance is to use the insurance card your provider gives you when you purchase coverage.

Other options include:
-A copy of the declarations page (sometimes referred to as the “dec page") that your insurance company issues when you cover your vehicle(s).
-Usually, you receive this page when you receive your insurance card.
-A copy of the insurance binder signed by the licensed insurance agent or broker.
-Typically, binders are temporary (distributed when you first obtain the policy); you might have to show more permanent proof at a later date.
-A copy of the application for any state-specific insurance program, signed by the insurance agent.
-A copy of a letter from the insurance company stating details about your coverage.
-Generally, this letter must be signed and on company letterhead.
-An electronic view of your information.
-You can show this information by logging into your account with the insurance company (using electronic means such as a smart phone app or laptop) and presenting it to the officer.

Back