What Companies Don't Care where You Leave Car?

ba_50

Some companies are requiring separate policy if parked in a different state. Who might they be? Liberty mutual is one and has very good prices. Is it a good company? Thank you.

Almost all companies will require a different policy if a car is normally garaged (parked) in a different state. There are rare exceptions to this.

What are you really asking? Can you explain the situation a bit more?

Dan

Can a car registered in one state have a policy from a different state? I don't believe they can, but some agents will argue the point.

Can a car registered in one state have a policy from a different state? I don't believe they can, but some agents will argue the point.

I can't think of a legitimate reason to do so. I'm guessing you're trying to save on premiums?

Almost all companies will require a different policy if a car is normally garaged (parked) in a different state. There are rare exceptions to this.

What are you really asking? Can you explain the situation a bit more?

Dan

Do they require the car be registered in that state or just have a policy?

My particular company can't agree in the same florida underwriters office as to how things are done. I have talked to several offices with the same result, mostly in my home state. I contacted the home office and they only said to contact my agent and wouldn't get involved. Apparently this confusion happens in most companies.

American family, State Farm, and liberty mutual are three who aren't concerned with out of state laws.

Are these companies trying to follow out of state laws or is it just their policy?

This is very frustrating.

Thank you.

What is the problem with getting insurance from the state the vehicle stays in? Insurance is (supposed to be) regulated at the state level so if you're crossing state lines it would make sense that it's a legal issue. If it's so frustrating, what's the problem with doing it the way that seems easy?

Your policy should be from the state that the car is normally garaged in. The state it is registered in doesn't matter. Most states require if the car is normally garaged there for it to be registered there. Don't confuse state laws with insurance policy language and underwriting.

There are some exceptions that can happen, military as someone mentioned and students away from home with the car.

Even the military should have a policy from the state they live in, but I don't think anyone is going to enforce it much.

Also, state A cannot write a policy in state B. You need a different license and different carrier appointments every time you cross state lines. Insurance is state based, not federal, which is one of the reasons why the policy should be from the state the car is in.

It would be easier if you explained what you are trying to do and why.

Dan

You can't in NC because your tag and registration are tied to your insurance. You are not insuring the car but also to the tag.

Back