What companies have offered GI Med Supps before?

Highmark BCBS in PA used to have a GI Plan C in PA. There's another company in PA called Avalon that had a Medsupp that was GI until a couple of years ago.

Horizon BC in NJ is still GI all the time for 65+, as is BC of IL. If I'm wrong, someone please chime in.

Anthem Blue Cross had a GI plan F for everyone for a year. The only requirement was that you had to be converting from a different company’s Med Sup. That actually went pretty well. Their rates weren’t low. But you could find a lot of cases where people had been stuck (due to health reasons) on a Sup for years and years and were paying much higher rates.

MOO’s Plan N was a whole different thing. It was priced really low. Crazy low. And all of us agents knew to never put anyone healthy in that house of cards. They ONLY got the worst of the worst health cases. You could see that wasn’t going to work from a mile away.

In 2010 some (all?) of the BX plans offered GI if you currently had a Medigap plan. I wrote a few including one that was in his 90's in a nursing home.

The BX party was going on at the same time as the MOO plan N fiesta and I believe MOO had a bigger turn out.

Both carriers came to their senses in a few months but the damage had been done. Of course they blamed the agents for taking advantage of their stupidity.

If you want to turn back time in a manner of speaking, here is a link to other party states where you can roll sick people into a Medigap plan.
State-specific Medicare information

Back