What Company Are You With?

May 18, 2016

1. AboutThatLife

AboutThatLife Guru

For people who say "I'm with Senior Services/Senior Benefits of [state]" is that actually the name of your company or can you just say you're with whoever? I hear this alot.

2. siskaban

siskaban New Member

iam with Generali Indonesia

siskaban, May 18, 2016
  3. Newby

Newby Guru

State:
    Indiana
    Just register your agency name as a dba with your state attorney generals office. If you are using your own actual name, you don't need to do that.

Newby, May 19, 2016
  4. vic120

vic120 Guru

State:
    Tennessee
    I with all the top companies,as an independent agent I work for you

vic120, May 19, 2016
  5. ModernInsurance

ModernInsurance Super Genius

Nice pitch, vic!

6. AboutThatLife

AboutThatLife Guru

Technically as an independent agent you work for the insurance company. I say something like this because I haven't found anything better to say, but in my experience most people who ask this are just looking for a reason to say "no".

7. scagnt83

scagnt83 Worldwide Expert of Everything

State:
    South Carolina
    If someone is asking what company you are with they are giving you a chance... if you already think they are looking for a reason to say no then you will most certainly hear the word no. Vic's response was perfect if you actually want to gain a client when someone asks you that question.

And your first sentence is absolutely not true. Both the carrier and the IRS would strongly disagree.

I own my own business. My business is able to provide policies from all of the top carriers in the market.

I am a 1099 contract "worker", meaning that my business entity provides a 3rd party service to the carrier and in turn they pay my business entity for that service.

The person I work for is myself and my clients. I say so, the insurance carrier says so, and the IRS/Feds say so.

If you receive a W2 then you are an employee who works for another persons company. If you receive a 1099 then you work for yourself.

Last edited: May 20, 2016
    scagnt83, May 20, 2016
  8. DHK

DHK "YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!"

State:
    California
    Give ATL a little break here. He's talking about when you're taking the application and your role changes from agent/advisor/salesperson... to field underwriter. At that point, you're completing an application and your duty is to the insurance company to give a full and complete application, including agent statement.

We can say that you work for the client up until you take the application.

DHK, May 20, 2016
  9. scagnt83

scagnt83 Worldwide Expert of Everything

State:
    South Carolina
    Anytime you are marketing or soliciting a specific company your duty is to follow their guidelines.

If you made vacuum cleaners and paid a separate business down the street to sell those vacuums for you. There would be certain business and marketing practices you would expect that business down the street to follow when they are selling and advertising your vacuums. But that does not mean they are your employee.

You work for yourself. You choose on your own which carrier's to represent. Even when filing out the app your duty is to the client (it is already assumed you are going to be truthful because of doi regs and carrier contract). You have agreed with the carrier to field underwrite and answer all questions truthfully... but you still are working for yourself/client.

When a stockbroker sells a share of Apple stock, they are not working for Apple or an employee of Apple. They have a contractual duty to Apple to follow certain guidelines/policies/procedures when representing the equity in their Corporation.

scagnt83, May 20, 2016
  10. WinoBlues

WinoBlues Guru

State:
    California
    "I do not work for anyone, I am an independent agent. I have access to dozens of companies like.........."