What Did You Do To Get Started Selling Life Insurance?

GAInsuranceGal

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Georgia
Today I went out to talk to churches to see if I can help the employees and/or members of the church protect their family with life insurance. (I did not have any new leads, so decided to do this.) This made me wonder how did you market yourself when you first got started in insurance.

Please let me know. The more the merrier.

Used to stay late in the office and I cold called large companies (500 employees +) starting with the first extension I could find and build a list with the name and number. I would then call them the next day introduce my self and let them know I currently work with some of the employees in the building and I was going to be in next week and I'd like to introduce my self.

This worked pretty well but I ran into a lot of HR issues so I wouldn't recommend it but thats how I got started.

When cold kocking doors what did you lead with or what did you say?

I don't use it anymore as I sell to a little different market but I still remember verbatim the speech I was taught 41 years ago even though no I sometimes have trouble remembering my name.

Hi: My name is L---- R---- with National Life and Accident. We have a service that has been beneficial to many of the folks here in _______. Of course I have no idea if it can be beneficial for you or not but you can answer that for yourself by answering just a couple of questions.. That's fair enough, isn't it? (gently nodding you head yes as you say it).

Do you like to save money?

Have you ever spent any of the money you saved?
Have you ever lost any money you saved?

If I could show you the best plan you have ever seen.. You be the SOLE judge. to save money you would be interested wouldn't you (again nodding head yes gently as you say this)

Could I step in for just a few minutes to share with you what I am talking about? If this is not a good time, would ______ be better?

We were working the family market in those days.. I use an product adapted version for cancer or FE these days.. Still works when I do.

Last edited:
Hi: My name is L---- R---- with National Life and Accident. We have a service that has been beneficial to many of the folks here in _______. Of course I have no idea if it can be beneficial for you or not but you can answer that for yourself by answering just a couple of questions.. That's fair enough, isn't it? (gently nodding you head yes as you say it).
Ahh, the "all purpose approach". They taught it at Prudential as well. We used it on the phone though, so the gentle head nodding didn't apply!

I cold called T65's and door knocked T65's. Took a lot of time out of the day just for a few sales but it was better than nothing

Back