What Do I Start with First?

Just sell with good intent. Don't mislead people. If they want MA, tell them how it works. Tell them it's not a MS. Get scope signed. And if they have issues answer their phone calls.

All these CMS rules are in place because of agents in the past intentionally misleading consumers to believe that the MA was same as a MS. And then when the consumer called after the sale to ask questions, agents would dodge the calls bc they were afraid of a chargeback.

Don't be a terrible agent.

I can send faxes for free using the internet. I don't see a need to have to ever receive faxes. Most carriers can email you any PDF documents you want. I have a very nice HP LaserJet 2420 so I am just buying a scanner to start. I can always upgrade in the future. What about a good landline phone?

----------

@GoPokes I think a lot of agents dodged calls because they didn't know the answer and/or they didn't want to spend an hour of their time to help their client out and rather focus on new sales. Handling 50% of all customer service calls over my 9 year tenure I can attest that resolving MA problems is very time consuming and aggravating due to how complicated certain things can be and dealing with ignorant people that are wrong about the rules. Many times the hospital billing screwed things up and you need to get involved and call the hospital billing with client on phone to find out why the claim was rejected. Clients always assume that their insurance plan made the mistake when most of the time the hospital did. God forbid you having to call Medicare CS with client on phone. I had Medicare rep tell me you cannot have a PFFS and PDP plan it's against the rules. I told her she was wrong and she argued with me until I told her to get her supervisor on the line and then we resolved the problem. Also group plans not transmitting to CMS the member was termed and having to coordinate coverage. All these things take time and patience away from marketing and selling.

Last edited:
I haven't heard that with any of my carriers... Then again, the only non supp app I've done thru the mail are PDP apps for UHC, and I've have no problems with when they were dated & when I sent them in, and no SOA.

It was definitely dependent on who you asked. I talked to one carrier rep and was told I had to and others would say no. One even said, "I really don't know. It hasn't been required in the past but based on AHIP this year I'm thinking it is". Here's the wording from the CMS guidelines:

All Plan/Part D Sponsor one-on-one appointments with beneficiaries, regardless of the venue (e.g., in home, conference call, library), are considered sales/marketing events and must follow the scope of appointment guidance

I believe they are viewing a conference call as a phone call between the agent and beneficiary. So to avoid any problems, I got SOA's signed for every app this past AEP. I would write on the SOA that the application was mailed to the beneficiary. Pretty sure we had a thread a while back discussing this very issue. I just decided to err on the side of caution. Last thing I wanted was to find out in January that I wasn't going to be paid.

And here's a prime example of the different interpretations among carriers. SilverScript clearly states no SOA is needed if not meeting F2F with the client. There are two boxes on the app. One says, "A Scope of Appointment was NOT completed because the application was mailed to the agent. That flies in the face of what the CMS guidelines state (assuming a conference call/phone call is considered a sales/marketing event).

As I said, in years past, whether it was a MAPD or PDP app that I mailed to the client, I did not get a Scope signed. But times are changing.

The SOA form I use says required for face to face meetings. I'm going with that as "law." Rick

I don't disagree. But when getting conflicting responses I decided to err on the side of caution. It's one extra piece of paper to include. With SilverScript, I got zero SOA's signed since I had no F2F meetings and their app clearly states it isn't required in that scenario.

TDF, CMS wants all MA applications in their hands no later than 3 business days after the client signs the application. This is a big problem if you sell MA over the phone because you are most likely mailing them an application out to sign and mail back to you. The Post Office usually takes 3 days to deliver a package so by the time the dated MA application arrives to you CMS wants it in their hands the same day and the carrier first has to receive and process the app before they transmit the info to CMS. So what you have do is explain to the client NOT to date the application and explain why and when the application comes back to you in the mail you date it right away with that date and fax it to carrier or ask them to date the application 3 days in advance and explain why. It seems like your doing shady stuff, but if you don't the carrier will rip your head off for submitting applications too late.
The plan must receive the app within 48 hours after the agent receives the application, though some carriers want it within 24. Telling other agents--as you've done here-- that the applicant should leave the signature date blank so the agent can fill it in when it arrives in the mail or asking them to post date an app is putting their careers at risk, should any be foolish or naive enough to take such awful advice.

The plan must receive the app within 48 hours after the agent receives the application, though some carriers want it within 24. Telling other agents--as you've done here-- that the applicant should leave the signature date blank so the agent can fill it in when it arrives in the mail or asking them to post date an app is putting their careers at risk, should any be foolish or naive enough to take such awful advice.

C'mon Wes, this guy has 10 years experience.

As far as a scanner goes. Every answer is wrong unless that answer is a Neat Scanner. Scans 10 pages in under 10 seconds.
You don't need a fax machine. Online faxing is easy for inbound and outbound

Back