What do you guys think about abbreviating domain names

Oh I am not, that is why I just decided to go with Jadick. My only requirement is that whatever name I use I want to be able to get the same domain name. I will figure it out today and let ya know.

Also the email thing. How does that all work? I do not want to really spend money right now on the website. With that being said do I just make one using a template with godaddy and let them host it for right now. Can I get the email forwarded to a gmail account and then to my outlook??

Ha....trying to scare me now. Luckily I have learned from this site and IHIAA that your statement is false. I know I am not going to get much business from my site, unless I do all kinds of work to get the web traffic, BUT I would like a decent name for bus. cards, flyers, doorhangers, etc. with that being said I would like to have a domain name the same as the rest. I also would like the email address to be "professional" instead of gmail or yahoo.

I was under the impression that I needed the domain name first in order to get the email address and then I can get to printing flyers, cards, etc. and hitting the streets! If I am incorrect please advise and I will not worry about it right now.

I am not too worried about a 800 number right now since I am going to first sell locally until I get the hang of it.

You are right the domain is not critical in driving traffic to your website in fact what you name your business is more important when your website comes up in search results paid or organic.

What i think is very important is to have a domain name that is as short as possible ,easy to spell,( a word that can be plural or singluer leads to many typos ) a name that is easy to remember and a .com because that is what people will try first if they are not sure.

Oh I am not, that is why I just decided to go with Jadick. My only requirement is that whatever name I use I want to be able to get the same domain name. I will figure it out today and let ya know.

Also the email thing. How does that all work? I do not want to really spend money right now on the website. With that being said do I just make one using a template with godaddy and let them host it for right now. Can I get the email forwarded to a gmail account and then to my outlook??

1) Don't wait to purchase a domain name if you think of a good one!

2) Check domain name availability ONLY at godaddy.com or another hosting company with whois access.

2a) Do not type the domain name into the address bar to see if the domain is available. Install seoquake into Mozilla to start learning about basic SEO stats.

I did this earlier this year before understanding some basic elements of web marketing and a little bastard out of Germany bought the domain name the day after I searched it.

3) Buy the domain name and the abbreviations. You can use this for advanced online marketing down the road and protect yourself from people trying to steal your business.

4) Make sure you have drafted up what you want your site to convey, illustrates, represent, illuminate, etc. etc.

You can get e-mail forwarded pretty much anywhere. Godaddy costs about $5-$7 p/month and includes more than enough e-mail space for most basic set ups.

I hope this helps.

-J.R.

I have microsoft outlook setup up to import email for my domain. If you have a pda you can set it up the same way. It would be much more convienant then forwarding email from account to account.

1) Don't wait to purchase a domain name if you think of a good one!

2) Check domain name availability ONLY at godaddy.com or another hosting company with whois access.

2a) Do not type the domain name into the address bar to see if the domain is available. Install seoquake into Mozilla to start learning about basic SEO stats.

I did this earlier this year before understanding some basic elements of web marketing and a little bastard out of Germany bought the domain name the day after I searched it.

3) Buy the domain name and the abbreviations. You can use this for advanced online marketing down the road and protect yourself from people trying to steal your business.

4) Make sure you have drafted up what you want your site to convey, illustrates, represent, illuminate, etc. etc.

You can get e-mail forwarded pretty much anywhere. Godaddy costs about $5-$7 p/month and includes more than enough e-mail space for most basic set ups.

I hope this helps.

-J.R.

After I read this i went and looked at a couple domain names that i thought were clever and i couldn't believe they weren't taken. So i took them..

I got

centexquotes.com
hotexasquotes.com

I was going to wait until i was actually ready to do my website but you made me panic that someone was going to take them.

thanks

When it comes to domain names, a name on the order of hotalabamaquotes.com is not going to parse in the SEOs to anything relevant.

The trick is to have your keywords stress the words Alabama, quotes, insurance, etc. That is where your SEO traffic will come from.

For that reason, you might as well have a short, catchy domain name that people can remember.

Another strategy is to have the short, catchy name parked on your domain and use it as a shortcut. For example, I have a long domain name that I am playing with, something like lifetimeincomeguaranteed.com but I also have life-pay.com that re-directs to the main domain.

Back