What Do You Say to Start a LTC Conversation?

Most veteran LTC producers only sell LTCi. When someone makes an inquiry over the internet or over the phone about LTCi, they are expecting someone to call to discuss LTCi with them. So, there's no need for a "lead in".

How about I also sell LTCI, are you familiar with LTCI, or is LTCI some that you have ever investigated, or do you see a need for LTCI, or do you have any questions about LTCI that I can answer, or do you currently have LTCI coverage? I think it would be pretty easy to start a dialogue.

Shut up and start listening. Let the conversation progress from there.

Full Throttle,
What products are you presntly selling and who is your target market?

Small business owners: life, health, and employee benefits.

I've just gotten started in the LTC market place, my lead in so far is "Have you set aside assets to fund your future long term care costs? How familiar are you with your options to pay for your future long term care expenses?"

I then tell them that due to fact they own a business, there are tax advantages to getting a head start in this area while they are still active in the business. I then ask if they would be open to looking at some options.

I've been generating a few leads by puttng LTC funding on the annual review agenda with my clients in the age 50 to 65 age brackets. It's been a start, but I would like to get deeper into the market since I'm finding most of them want to talk about it and haven't been approached for it.

Thought I would see how the LTC pro's on this board approach the issue. You never know when you'll get one idea that will help make a sale.

I also like the fact that the sale can open up other areas just by the nature of the product:

1. Life Payment Option: would you like me to show you an option to help you guarantee income to pay the premiums in your retirement years? (VA, FA, SPIA, ect)

2. Life Case: does your current life insurance allow you to access your death benefit early to pay for LTC costs? Would it make sense for us to review your current coverage?

Last edited:
Small business owners: life, health, and employee benefits.

I've just gotten started in the LTC market place, my lead in so far is "Have you set aside assets to fund your future long term care costs? How familiar are you with your options to pay for your future long term care expenses?"

I then tell them that due to fact they own a business, there are tax advantages to getting a head start in this area while they are still active in the business. I then ask if they would be open to looking at some options.

I've been generating a few leads by puttng LTC funding on the annual review agenda with my clients in the age 50 to 65 age brackets. It's been a start, but I would like to get deeper into the market since I'm finding most of them want to talk about it and haven't been approached for it.

Thought I would see how the LTC pro's on this board approach the issue. You never know when you'll get one idea that will help make a sale.

I also like the fact that the sale can open up other areas just by the nature of the product:

1. Life Payment Option: would you like me to show you an option to help you guarantee income to pay the premiums in your retirement years? (VA, FA, SPIA, ect)

2. Life Case: does your current life insurance allow you to access your death benefit early to pay for LTC costs? Would it make sense for us to review your current coverage?

great points.

Also, since you're talking to small business owners, the underwriting for small businesses can be extremely lenient, in most cases, with as few as 7 employees buying some coverage. You can load up the bennies on the owner(s) and buy smaller policies for the employees and get simplified underwriting.

great points.

Also, since you're talking to small business owners, the underwriting for small businesses can be extremely lenient, in most cases, with as few as 7 employees buying some coverage. You can load up the bennies on the owner(s) and buy smaller policies for the employees and get simplified underwriting.

I have heard of the program, in fact, you had something to do with me being able to get a recent case placed with Pru's mult-life program. :biggrin:

You've got to bring it home to them. Everyone has a mother, father, uncle, aunt, or a grannie who once was or is now in long term care. Talk about them.

Back