What do you say to your DM leads?

all good means they do not have group coverage or work are still working for a group of over 20 so they are a potential client. If they have tricare or are still working for a large company it usually is not someone that is an immediate client. all good means they are somewhat qualified

WHat do you mean by "all is good," did they not qualify for the policy, and if so how to you handle it on the phone.

They’re T65 so if they don’t have tricare or an employer plan, I can sign them up.

“All is good” as in if they have no other rebuttals or concerns. Sometimes they just say, ok come see me.

They’re T65 so if they don’t have tricare or an employer plan, I can sign them up.

“All is good” as in if they have no other rebuttals or concerns. Sometimes they just say, ok come see me.

OK I am about to ask a question that will make me sound extremely green to this business, but keep in mind I am newly licensed and am speaking to agancies currently. Here is my question what is T65 -- and of they had Tricare or and Employer plan, what would you have told them- that you couldn't help them. Just wondering incase I ever got the Health license and did medicare

OK I am about to ask a question that will make me sound extremely green to this business, but keep in mind I am newly licensed and am speaking to agancies currently. Here is my question what is T65 -- and of they had Tricare or and Employer plan, what would you have told them- that you couldn't help them. Just wondering incase I ever got the Health license and did medicare

T65 is someone who is currently age 64. When they turn 65 they will be new to Medicare. So right now is the time for them to shop and select a Medicare plan and their agent. T65 is the abbreviation for Turning 65. This will be the only time in their life that they can get any plan they want with no health underwriting.

If they have Tri-care they are a retired military and have similar to a Plan F that is fully paid for by the US government. It doesn’t get any better than that. You would be doing them a dis-service to sell them a supplement or Advantage plan.

Employer plans = some of these posters have that very wrong. Only a small portion of people on employer group plans should stay on those plans once they reach Medicare age. Many employees are better off leaving the group, signing up for Part B and buying a supplement an RX plan or An MAPD. You have to do a cost comparison and review their schedule of benefits to know for sure. But in my experience only a very small percentage are better off staying with a group plan.

In fact it’s funny sometimes as group plans cancel the retirees health plans the employees usually come into our office very upset that this is happening to them. I always tell them “after reviewing what they had” you should have never clung to that group plan to start with. They did you a favor by canceling. Especially when the groups pay them a stipend to go buy their own individual coverage.

Just a couple of observations from skimming this thread.

If you are mailing during (or just before) AEP your card/mailer will probably get lost in the crowd. The association for retired folks engages in MASS MAILINGS this time of year, comes in fat envelopes and they mail indiscriminately. (My 34 year old daughter who has not lived here in years gets mail from them along with my wife and I).

It is almost impossible to compete with the flood of mailings. Your piece has to really stand out. Most of the mail is tossed but LARGE POSTCARDS (like the ones politicians send) are easily scanned and either kept or tossed.

You might consider adding a phone number that goes to a recorded message and has the ability to "find" you if they want to talk at that time. Google Voice is something to consider.

If your mail message is intriguing enough some people might call, especially if you make it clear they will hear a recording vs talking to you.

Also consider a simple web page with information and a way to contact you.

Another thought is a YouTube video. This way people get to see and hear you then decide if they want to talk with you or not. When you call you are more than just a voice on the phone, they have a visual image of who you are.

Any message, regardless of the medium (print, web page, voice recording, video) has only one purpose.

To stimulate interest.

Messages are not designed to do the SELLING for you other than selling them on the idea of WHY they should talk to you.

Once you do get to talk to them if you come across as pushy or desperate to make a sale they will hear it in your voice. You are dead in the water.

The only reason they responded to your message is because they RECOGNIZE they have a problem and are searching for ANSWERS. You need to be a problem solver first and a peddler second.

Too many agents fail to understand that and move into selling mode from the start.

Until you know WHY they responded and WHAT they have done so far to solve their problem you will not be effective.

My marketing is designed to get people to either call or email me, or they provide information when they run their own Medigap quote on my site.

If the lead comes from my quote engine their first contact with me is via email.

If they email me I reply by email.

And if they call that is the best of all. That shows a real interest in what I can do for them.

My initial contact has two goals.

I ask HOW CAN I HELP and WHAT HAVE YOU LOOKED AT SO FAR?

How can I help is a leading question designed to get them to open up. It starts a conversation, not a sales pitch.

What have you seen so far is really two parts. It leads to how long have you been looking, and why haven't you made a decision.

Frankly, I get a lot of people who have been looking for a while but have not pulled the trigger for various reasons. Mostly because no one has really answered their questions. Many of the agents they have talked to immediately turned on the sales pitch and scared them away.

By asking questions and offering answers, they quickly see my approach is different.

If you can't do something to set yourself apart from the other agents selling the same product for the same price you will not win the game.

Last edited:
Just a couple of observations from skimming this thread.

If you are mailing during (or just before) AEP your card/mailer will probably get lost in the crowd. The association for retired folks engages in MASS MAILINGS this time of year, comes in fat envelopes and they mail indiscriminately. (My 34 year old daughter who has not lived her in years gets mail from them along with my wife and I).

It is almost impossible to compete with the flood of mailings. Your piece has to really stand out. Most of the mail is tossed but LARGE POSTCARDS (like the ones politicians send) are easily scanned and either kept or tossed.

You might consider adding a phone number that goes to a recorded message and has the ability to "find" you if they want to talk at that time. Google Voice is something to consider.

If your mail message is intriguing enough some people might call, especially if you make it clear they will hear a recording vs talking to you.

Also consider a simple web page with information and a way to contact you.

Another thought is a YouTube video. This way people get to see and hear you then decide if they want to talk with you or not. When you call you are more than just a voice on the phone, they have a visual image of who you are.

Any message, regardless of the medium (print, web page, voice recording, video) has only one purpose.

To stimulate interest.

Messages are not designed to do the SELLING for you other than selling them on the idea of WHY they should talk to you.

Once you do get to talk to them if you come across as pushy or desperate to make a sale they will hear it in your voice. You are dead in the water.

The only reason they responded to your message is because they RECOGNIZE they have a problem and are searching for ANSWERS. You need to be a problem solver first and a peddler second.

Too many agents fail to understand that and move into selling mode from the start.

Until you know WHY they responded and WHAT they have done so far to solve their problem you will not be effective.

My marketing is designed to get people to either call or email me, or they provide information when they run their own Medigap quote on my site.

If the lead comes from my quote engine their first contact with me is via email.

If they email me I reply by email.

And if they call that is the best of all. That shows a real interest in what I can do for them.

My initial contact has two goals.

I ask HOW CAN I HELP and WHAT HAVE YOU LOOKED AT SO FAR?

How can I help is a leading question designed to get them to open up. It starts a conversation, not a sales pitch.

What have you seen so far is really two parts. It leads to how long have you been looking, and why haven't you made a decision.

Frankly, I get a lot of people who have been looking for a while but have not pulled the trigger for various reasons. Mostly because no one has really answered their questions. Many of the agents they have talked to immediately turned on the sales pitch and scared them away.

By asking questions and offering answers, they quickly see my approach is different.

If you can't do something to set yourself apart from the other agents selling the same product for the same price you will not win the game.

Best thing I’ve read on this forum in a long time. New agents should print this out and laminate it.

Thanks for your kind words, Scott. You have much to offer as well. Good to see you back posting again. You were missed.

T65 is someone who is currently age 64. When they turn 65 they will be new to Medicare. So right now is the time for them to shop and select a Medicare plan and their agent. T65 is the abbreviation for Turning 65. This will be the only time in their life that they can get any plan they want with no health underwriting.

If they have Tri-care they are a retired military and have similar to a Plan F that is fully paid for by the US government. It doesn’t get any better than that. You would be doing them a dis-service to sell them a supplement or Advantage plan.

Employer plans = some of these posters have that very wrong. Only a small portion of people on employer group plans should stay on those plans once they reach Medicare age. Many employees are better off leaving the group, signing up for Part B and buying a supplement an RX plan or An MAPD. You have to do a cost comparison and review their schedule of benefits to know for sure. But in my experience only a very small percentage are better off staying with a group plan.

In fact it’s funny sometimes as group plans cancel the retirees health plans the employees usually come into our office very upset that this is happening to them. I always tell them “after reviewing what they had” you should have never clung to that group plan to start with. They did you a favor by canceling. Especially when the groups pay them a stipend to go buy their own individual coverage.
"This will be the only time in their life that they can get any plan they want with no health underwriting." <<< I know what you're saying, but not completely accurate. For example, they could end up trying a MAPD sometime, then utilize Trial Right.

"This will be the only time in their life that they can get any plan they want with no health underwriting." <<< I know what you're saying, but not completely accurate. For example, they could end up trying a MAPD sometime, then utilize Trial Right.

I don’t remember if trial right allows them to get any plan they want. Does it? I’m pretty sure it’s limited to going back to the plan and company they came from if they had a previous supplement. Or limited to Plan F and Plan B if they never had a supplement.

Correct, all I said is that if they don’t have employer coverage or Tricare I can sign them up.
If they have employer coverage, it takes more questioning from me to see what they have. A lot of time it’s crap. But often it’s not, so at least they claim it to be

Back