What happens to the Uninsured????

Jerry Tibbs

Expert
What happens to the Uninsured?

I have a friend who has no health insurance. He got a botched operation and needs another. He's had one hell of time getting insurance through the county...and has been given the run around by the liberals and knuckle heads who work for the county system.

Finally..they told him he was not eligiable for insurance because he did file income tax returns. Unbelievable!!!

I don't know how to help him or what to do.

Its very sad...he's a hard working guy who ran into a string of bad luck.

Any Advice for this situation?

Why should the taxpayers subsidize his lack of coverage? Does he have a car? A cell phone? What was the last movie he saw?

It seems like he should accept some resposibility unless there is a real good reason why ?

I find it quite amusing that we hear of stories like this, yet, if I were a betting man, my guess would be that he does have the following:

• Cell phone
  • Car insurance
  • Homeowners Insurance
  • Renter's Insurance
  • Cable TV
  • Internet Access
In other words, he has insured himself to be covered for every other event, except his own health. Whenever we see the "44.6" million uninsured, they include the following:

"Nan" and "Mike" are clients of mine, who I met through a civic organization. They agreed, after knowing me for 5 years, to allow me to be their health insurance agent. However, they always kept me at "arms length", when it came time to sit down and discuss their options. Months would go by before I would receive a return call, and when I did, it was always a plea to do something "right away".

Well, I received a notice from the insurance company last May that they were late on their premium, and would be cancelled. I placed a call to them, to no avail. Didn't hear back from them, until they called me on June 25th, telling me a very convoluted story about why the premiums weren't paid, and phone calls placed, and what was discussed, etc. The only thing they could not tell me was, surprise surprise, who they spoke to.

One call to the insurance company, and I received the records of all the calls and letter sent. I e-mailed them to them, and told them that, at this point there was nothing I could do, but I would recommend that they get some STM for now, until we decide what to do. They told me they would call me within a few days, and agree to see me.

That was three weeks ago.

Now, he is okay, and is healthy. She is not. They are now part of the "Uninsured", for the simple reason that they did not pay their bill, and did not contact me ahead of time - due to their pride - to see what options we have.

To understand the bleeding heart mentality of those who are "uninsured", READ THIS

Now, that being said, are there those who have a point that the healthcare system is overcharging for treatment, etc.? ABSOLUTELY.

Are a good number of those uninsured in that situation due to circumstances beyond their control? ABSOLUTELY.

It plays right into the "victim" mentality that we've grown accustomed to here in the United States. No one is going to argue with a "victim". No one is going to say to a "victim", well it's your fault, you pay for it. No one is going to publicly do any of these things, and that's why it's easy for people to play the "victim" card.

I agree. This person should find a job - hard as that may be, both emotionally, and in today's economy, timely.

There is no health insurance crisis in America. There's a "living in too much house with two new cars and eating out twice a week" crisis.

If anyone thinks there's a health insurance crisis they haven't worked 100 leads where 80 of 'em couldn't care less about either getting covered or lowering their rate.

I talk to prospects all day:

me: "ok, you're at $550 and I can save you about $150 a month."

them: "sounds ok. Listen, my cat needs a bath and it's a bad month. Can you call me next December when I can give more of a ****?"

Yeah...there's a real healthcare crisis.

There is no health insurance crisis in America. There's a "living in too much house with two new cars and eating out twice a week" crisis......

You have pegged the nail on the head. The only thing I would say is probably eating out three times a week.

So what about the guy with pre-existing conditions, his cobra runs out and he has health insurance and not a single one of you can sell him any? He can afford $550 a month, but he can't pass underwriting. There are lots of these people out there. Lots of jobs have been lost and there is no place to turn except in some states the 'pool' which may have huge deductibles and premiums over $1000 a month.

We need a large pool these people can be placed in, like the one the government employees are in, so they can get health insurance. If they can afford it and choose not to get it, well then #^$# them and let them lose the large home and cars.

people just dont get insurance and take it for granted. Thats why there are so many uninsured. And then wait whos to blame when they can't get insurance cause they had something happen when they weren't insured "the insurance company"....

Latest posts

Back