What happens to the Uninsured????

The only uninsured I truly have sympathy for are those whose cobra has run out and became sick and those who are truly poor and can't afford it.

The others most of them are like the guy who crashes his car without insurance and then bemoans his fate. What happened to personal responsibility in our society?

The 42 million is aguesstimate at best and that counts about 20 million illegal aliens.

The only uninsured I truly have sympathy for are those whose cobra has run out and became sick and those who are truly poor and can't afford it.

#1 is eligible for GI coverage under HIPAA in any state within 63 days of loss of COBRA/Mini-COBRA/Group Benefits. Not at all uninsurable.

#2 probably is eligible for Medicaid or other state/county aid and those plans are usually quite rich in benefits and often free.

Niether of these types has an excuse to be uninsured.

True but even with those too programs there are many who fall between the cracks. The working poor for example and states without a State Uninsured Plan like GA

True but even with those too programs there are many who fall between the cracks. The working poor for example and states without a State Uninsured Plan like GA

Here's what I feel is the gist of the problem:

Most everyone (business owners and insurance brokers/agents alike) I think would agree that there are folks out there who need help legitimately, and we all must chip in a little to help them out.

Then it evolves into massive government waste, and scammers taking advantage of the system - then you get push back from the people funding it.

I had a girlfriend a while back who had an adult sister who collected Social Security disability (and of course was on Medicare as well).

She had been horribly "enabled" by her family over the years. As an outsider looking at it with fresh eyes over a couple of years, I discovered there was really nothing wrong with her...other than she was a lazy "victim".

Why should you or I have to pay for that?

True, but I am not sure what the answer is to that. Those who earn at the threshhold level are really the one's that need some help. Too high for Medicaid but too low to pay family premium rates. Maybe a mandate for employer-sponsored?

Boy, I'm just loathe to legislate employer-sponsored anything. Employer's costs are already so high, I think it'll just drive more marginal jobs out of the country.

What about a tax credit and/or voucher to help them pay?

The basic principles of government is to provide what I cannot provide myself and what private industry cannot provide.

I cannot guard the boarders so we have a military. I cannot build a road so we have road construction. I cannot build a school either.

Then human rights gets involved. Do we really want survival of the fittest? We had that - check out the slums of the 1800's to early 1900's. As a society we've decided that it's better to give people money then watch them starve in the street. I agree and it it what it is.

I am not for any system, however, that lets hard-working people die when it's preventable. And hard-working people can die without health insurance.

Does the gov't provide it? No. Private industry has failed. I don't claim to have the solution but again, no hard working citizen who's willing to pay their fair share should be without coverage.

I am not for any system, however, that lets hard-working people die when it's preventable. And hard-working people can die without health insurance.

Does the gov't provide it? No. Private industry has failed. I don't claim to have the solution but again, no hard working citizen who's willing to pay their fair share should be without coverage.

John "gets it." Most of us who are branded as left-wing-nuts don't necessarily want a government system nor do we advocate a private system. We just want the problem fixed. I could care less if we get Medicare/Medicaid for all from the governent... or we get private GI for all from the insurance industry. As long as no responsible tax-paying working citizen loses his home or retirement funds because he got sick or had an accident or lost his job.... whatever we get, no matter what it costs... will be fine with me.

I personally have little faith in the private sector anymore, but my mind is still open to that solution. Perhaps a private-public sector hybrid will work. What we have now... doesn't... except for the agents and the carriers and (for most part) the providers.

The Jackass

Latest posts

Back